Traveling with laptop

Search

Traveling with laptop

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling with laptop

I recently purchased my first laptop and plan on taking it with me on my upcoming trip. Having never done this before I was wondering if there were any pointers or words of wisdom. It is a big one - a 17 inch monitor (I really got it to replace my desk top. I'm not a business traveller.) So I know I will probably have issues with the weight.

The one thing I do know - having travelled enough and stood behind enough people in the security line who do NOT do this when told - I will take it out of its case asap when going through security.

Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 06:12 AM
maj

I recently had the same question. I got numerous replies on what people do with them while on trips, etc. If you hit my name, you will find this. Everyone has their own opinion. Having never taken anything of value except our cameras, I was unsure what to do with it when we didn't have it with us. I ended up leaving it in a locked suitcase in our room while we went out for the day (we were in Yellowstone and GTNP) and felt comfortable doing that. Of course I don't have any sensitive information on it -- it is a second computer and it is a 15" and not horribly expensive although I still would hate to lose it.

I had no problem with taking it on the plane -- in fact the case for it that I had allowed me to pack things in it that I normally put in my carryon.

I may be wrong about this, but the airports I was in did not have wireless available, unless you had a service or card (like T Mobile). If you plan on using the internet while you are travelling you would probably want to check into some sort of prepaid card. They also have adaptors on some planes (usually business class) to recharge it if you would need that.
http://www.seatguru.com/articles/in-...ptop_power.php

It was so convenient to have, I can't imagine taking a trip without it. We didn't have internet access except right before we came home, but I had downloaded songs and took a couple of dvd's with us (we had no radio or tv, and sometimes you just need some noise). It was great to put pictures on CD's and view them on a larger screen than the one on the camera. I had also put information in it (like hikes, etc.) which cut way down on the printed paper and books I usually take. I don't use it for business either and someone had said why do you want to take a computer with you -- you're on vacation. We actually did not hear any news for most of our vacation -- didn't know what was going on in the outside world, but I was still glad that I had my computer. I think it would be invaluable in a city -- to make restaurant reservations, use hop stop, etc. for directions, etc.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 09:55 AM

The key thing is to never have the computer or any of the accessories visible in the room when staff is there.

Make sure the computer, case, cords - anything you use with it are locked away when any staff is in the room (maids, waiters, bellmen, etc. (I carry mine in a briefcase versus a computer case so one no thinks I have one.) I just store it in a drawer under clothing - since I think a locked suitcase can attract attention - and can be opened in about 30 seconds.

Have been traveling with it regularly (sometimes 30/40 trips a year) for more than 7 years and never had a problem.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 10:38 AM

Advice from laptop traveler since the early 1990's:

1. Don't drop it.
2. Don't leave it in a hot car trunk. If you have to lock it in your car, wrap it in clothes in your suitcase or leave it under the seat with the windows open 1/4".
3. Don't leave it in a cold car trunk. It won't kill it, but it will have to warm up before it will run. Meanwhile, you will have a heart attack when the screen is black.
4. Never let it out of your site in a public place. Yes, it goes into the stall with you and hangs on the coat hook.
5. Free wifi is available in almost every public library in the country, along with lots of other information, travel and otherwise, and clean rest rooms.
6. Back up EVERYTHING before you leave home. Then use a USB drive to back up all the new stuff every day. I would probably leave my pictures on my camera until I got home instead of erasing them after downloading.
7. If it still makes you nervous, drop by your local computer fixit store and see if they have any cheap used computers. I just saw a couple of Thinkpads on Craigslist for $150. Put only travel stuff AND NOTHING CONFIDENTIAL on the cheap computer, backup to a USB drive, download everything to your main laptop when you go home, and you won't really care if it gets stolen.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 12:20 PM

You're getting a lot of great advice here. Think of security, both in terms of keeping your laptop from getting stolen and also in terms of backup of all your vital information. In addition, make sure your security software will inform you if anyone is trying to hack into your computer while you may be working in a public place. I found this to happen fairly frequently in Paris. There is a lot of good information on traveling with laptops and on working while traveling at http://www.nunomad.com/office.htm if you'd like an overview.

Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 12:40 PM

Since it sounds like a pleasure trip and not business and since you have never had a laptop before, the very first question you should ask yourself is -

Do you really want/need to haul that laptop on vacation with you?
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 01:20 PM

You're getting great advice...I purchased my first laptop last year specifically for vacation & flights. I bought the lightest weight possible within my price range, 14 inch monitor, never had a problem carrying it.

I carry it in a sturdy cloth bag. Once onboard I have entertainment of my choice for the entire trip.

I've called airlines and checked seat.guru for seats where you can plug in using an adapter. Delta gave me incorrect info. United told me that I could plug in without an adapter...but seat.guru gave me the correct info there and I bought an EmPower adapter plug.

For long trips I've upgraded to first class on United and had laptop power using the Empower adapter the entire flight.

In hotels I put the laptop in its cloth bag inside an unlocked suitcase.

I hope this helps. Once I took the laptop on one trip I continued taking it on every trip, long & short, business or vacation.