Traveling with immobilized (fractured) left leg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2021, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for ideas of aids I can bring on board to elevate my leg as much as possible during the flight. I have bought first class bulkhead seats so I will have as much room as possible. I’m a tall guy, 6’3” and about 185 lbs. my leg is in an external brass with 0 mobility, so it can’t bend at the knee. It will need to extend straight out and elevate if possible.

ideas I’ve had so far are inflatable exercise ball with pillow on top of it. My brother will be in the seat next to me.

I know whatever we bring we can’t take off or land with it on the floor. So looking for any kind of suggestions anyone might have with this. We would appreciate it!
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I looked for a seat stick sometimes used by golfers, and got these images.

https://www.google.com/search?q=golf...w=1600&bih=827

I suspect that some of them may need a crutch tip to cover the spike at the bottom.

I hope the TSA won't consider it a weapon.

Last edited by AJPeabody; Jan 26th, 2021 at 11:40 AM. Reason: TSA thought
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 12:28 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Which airline/plane model/route? Different airlines have different rules and different routes have different types of planes. But if you are in a wide body or some narrow body planes they have lie flat seats so except for takeoff and landing your leg can be fully extended w/o any gadgets. But on some routes with smaller planes, even in F there won't be enough space to fully extend your leg.

If in a smaller plane you might need to have your brother buy another seat elsewhere and you use both the window/aisle seats so you can sit 'diagonally' with the leg on both seats (assuming the arm rests elevate which they do in most premium cabins).
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
Which airline/plane model/route? Different airlines have different rules and different routes have different types of planes. But if you are in a wide body or some narrow body planes they have lie flat seats so except for takeoff and landing your leg can be fully extended w/o any gadgets. But on some routes with smaller planes, even in F there won't be enough space to fully extend your leg.

If in a smaller plane you might need to have your brother buy another seat elsewhere and you use both the window/aisle seats so you can sit 'diagonally' with the leg on both seats (assuming the arm rests elevate which they do in most premium cabins).
thanks for the reply, I am flying MCO to SLC on delta nonstop. I have been unable to find what type of aircraft we are flying on. We depart 6:17 pm Friday evening.
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 01:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Delta website clearly shows the aircraft under "Details" of the flight. If you are flying on Friday, Feb. 5th, for example, the aircraft is a 737-900. At seatguru.com, you can view a map of that aircraft which does not reflect a lot of legroom in bulkhead first class seats. It actually looks like the first row of comfort class on the port side would have more room.

https://seatguru.com/airlines/Delta_...tno=1144&date=

But there is no guarantee that the aircraft scheduled for that flight will be the same aircraft on the day of the flight. Depending on seats sold, the airline may decide to change the aircraft or consolidate flights. When the aircraft changes or your flight is consolidated, the airline reassigns the seats with no guarantee you end up with the same seat location you originally booked. Delta FF members may be given priority in reseating. Until the number of travelers picks up significantly, the airlines are doing a lot of adjustments.

With the physical issue you describe, I wouldn't be taking a 5 hour flight anywhere. I assume you would need to get up and walk around multiple times during the flight to reduce your DVT risk.
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would give at least a 50% probability that someone immobilized like that would already be on an anticoagulant.
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 04:02 PM

You need to follow up with Delta . . . If it really is Delta's 737-900 there will be limited legroom in the bulkhead seats -- they are probably the worst seats in F. You can change your seats (assuming F isn't already full) and should call Delta. rows 2,3,4 have more legroom . . . BUT . . . seatguru is a great resource but is not always 100% accurate because planes do get re-fitted. Delta would know for sure.

BTW -- Economy row 21 seats A and F have the absolute most leg room on the entire plane but would be a pain since they are window seats and would be difficult for you to get into them.
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 07:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If seatguru is correct, those seats in economy row 21 A/F are set aside for Delta Medallion members and wouldn't be available to other passengers until check-in. Also, flight crew might not allow you to place anything in the nature of a leg rest in the space that would impede access to the exit doors. Most crews are very strict about those exit areas no matter what a desk rep might tell you.
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jean
If seatguru is correct, those seats in economy row 21 A/F are set aside for Delta Medallion members and wouldn't be available to other passengers until check-in. Also, flight crew might not allow you to place anything in the nature of a leg rest in the space that would impede access to the exit doors. Most crews are very strict about those exit areas no matter what a desk rep might tell you.

Oh -- I know that -- but most medallions opt for premium cabins over coach with leg room, so those two seats are frequently available at check in. But for the OP they're not really a practical option because they are window seats. My comment was more for the irony factor -- that the seats with the very most legroom are in fact way back in coach . . .
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 02:42 AM

Prop you fooy up on a suitcase. YOu'll probably have to encroach on your brother's foot room. It's first class bulkhead so maybe the space will be okay or maybe the flight attendants can help by a seat switch.
you'll not be able to blow up a aball and deflate it, methinks.
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 12:56 PM

The ball sounds safer. I would not want to bet that any airline would allow you to put something like those portable seat sticks in that area, it's too dangerous. If there were turbulance or something like that, it could hurt someone. So whatever your plans are, if it's something big etc, you'd better check with the airline that they would allow such a thing.
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 05:25 AM

I think it would be best to contact the airline and explain your situation.
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 08:00 AM

Have your brother take a duffle carry on that could squish under the seat. Turn it vertically or horizontallly as needed.
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 10:41 AM

Maybe a bit late now, but there is a blow up cushion type thing to put in the space between the back of the front seat and the front of the back seat to make a level surface for pets in a vehicle. I don't know if that is the type of thing that might be useful for you.