Traveling with graduation gifts

May 15th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Jim

Traveling with graduation gifts

I'm going to be flying out for my cousin's son's high school graduation in a few weeks. I need to buy a nice gift for him ($50-$75), but have no idea what's appropriate for an 18 year these days. I also need to bring a few smaller gifts for a few of his other cousins who are also graduating that I've met over the years. Any ideas for inexpensive gifts that are easy to pack (both male and female related)? Thanks for any ideas. As a typical male, I'm stumped for gift ideas!

May 15th, 2002, 11:21 AM
joni

Cash - that way they can spend it on what they like and easy to pack. If not how about something for college? Gift certificates for the cousins are easy to travel with (like to blockbuster, or maybe a nationwide music store?

May 15th, 2002, 11:35 AM
nina

What about those "leathermen" sort of like Swiss Army knife contraptions that all the guys seem to want. Just make sure you pack them! Also Oakley (the company who makes the cool sunglasses and cycling goggles), just came out with a line of inexpensive sport watches. Very cool.

May 15th, 2002, 11:48 AM
traveller

The swiss army knife brings back memories I will get into in a minute.

I think that cash is the best bet or set up a fund for post secondary education. Just give a cash gift. They will appreciate it, trust me. I have two kids, both university grads and I know that they used whatever cash they recieved to aid them in living expenses, tuition, books, whatever. Uni is expensive.

Now back to the knife story. A few years ago, my son was graduating with his B.Sc. in Victoria and we had to fly from Alberta to Vic to attend. My Dad was an avid hunter/fisherman who had passed away a few years before. For his grad, my bros wanted to give my son something from Grampa. So they chose a decorative knife with a jade blade that my dad had owned. They wrapped it nicely and I didn't even think about it until someone at the airport asked me what was in the package. I stupidly replied a "knife". Trust me, the rest was entertaining. We were at the airport with our MP (who was boarding the same flight) who we know well. He laughed as I had my arms raised over my head and was searched from top to bottom. It was a bit embarressing.

All of that is funny now but post 9/11 it may not be funny.

Go with something that no one at an airport will deem to be a weapon. Or just give them the cash.

May 15th, 2002, 11:59 AM
xxx

I just went to the Oakley site and couldn't find a watch under $160.

Cash is nice, but it's not really appropriate to slip in a $10 for a gift. Unfortunately you're probably not looking to spend alot more on the other kids (which I don't blame you).

May 15th, 2002, 12:05 PM
nina

Oh. My friend just got one and said it was very inexpensive. I guess inexpensive is subjective. Timex?

May 15th, 2002, 12:09 PM
janis

Unfortunately kids have such expensive taste now that there's fewer choices for nice gifts that won't run you a fortune. Even a music cd puts you back $20. Good luck with finding something. Wish I could think of something for you.

May 15th, 2002, 12:09 PM
anon

Some websites for good prices on watches are

smartbargains.com

overstock.com

worldofwatches.com

I just bought a dual time zone watch for my sister for graduation since she is going on a 6 week trek through Europe and that way she could tell what time it was at home and wherever she is.

Other possible gifts are gift certificates (to good places like the movie theater, best buy or circuit city, or blockbuster), or if they are going to college, a sweatshirt or hat from that college or gift certificates to the campus store (when my sister left for college, I called her campus store and had them send her gift certificates to be used toward books, supplies, etc...).

May 15th, 2002, 12:13 PM
x

Find out what music stores are in the city you're going to. Buy a gift certificateor a CD for one of those stores as one of the inexpensive gifts. Maybe a CD for him from that store with a $50 bill inside as well.

Another alternative is silver charm bracelets for the girls. Or you could try something that is typical of the area you are coming from. For the girls, the charm bracelet with a charm representative of your hometown (i.e., if you're from NYC, a NYC apple).

May 15th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Merilee

My nephews like receiving Old Navy gift cards that resemble credit cards...they can spend them all at once or over a period of time...in the $50.00-$75.00 range that can buy them several clothing items especially if they shop during a clearance...another plus is that Old Navy is located just about everywhere...I've also noticed that stores such as Walmart sell several different brands of watches that perform many functions besides showing the time...young men seem to like those also...gift certificates to music stores are also popular...all small and very easy to pack.

May 15th, 2002, 12:51 PM
KenCT

Personally, I wouldn't go with a watch - most people already have a couple they don't wear as it is. I'd go with a gift certificate to a chain store - Old Navy, Gap, Barnes & Noble, etc. Easy to pack, redeemable all over this country, and no security hassles at airports.

You did not mention whether or not you're flying to your destination, but if you are, do not, under any circumstances bring anything gift wrapped. It WILL be opened and you'll have to re-wrap it when you get there.

May 15th, 2002, 12:52 PM
KenCT

Oops. You did mention that you're flying. Sorry.

May 15th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Sheila

If they are going away to college, phone cards would be nice to use to call home and would be light and easy to pack.

May 15th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Tom

I thought about a phone calling card as well, but do kids use these? Seems like all of the teens I know have a cell phone and rarely even use a regular land line phone anymore.

May 15th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Rich

If they're going off to college and will be living in a dorm, a really nice and practical gift is a basket with some things they'll need in the dorm -- especially toiletries etc. A nice plastic basket sort of thing filled with shampoo, razor, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc etc -- they'll need one of these baskets to pick up and carry down the hall to the bathroom. If this is too bulky to carry, you can always get a gift certificate to someplace like Bed Bath & Beyond or Target. (My sister has put together these sorts of baskets for friends' kids who were going off to college and they loved them). Towels and washcloths for going off to college are also good and will be useful. These are the sort of things a lot of people don't think about until they move into the dorm and then are like, "Uh-oh!"

May 16th, 2002, 04:50 PM
x

A small piece of jewelry would be nice for the girl in the group if you know her well enough.

May 16th, 2002, 08:22 PM
eee

Kids just get a bunch of music store gift certificates now? That's creative!

May 17th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Ann

Instead of relying on large chain stores for gift certificates (if that's the route you choose) you could give an online gift certificate to something like Amazon.com or even LLBean. The idea of a toiletry case with essentials is always good, and I've heard of people getting things like rolls of quarters so they can do laundry, etc. If in doubt, cash is always welcome to an 18 year old.