Can we use traveler's checks?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to decide how much cash to bring with us on our trip to CR. Do most places take traveler's checks? I know all of the hotels will take VISA, but I'm concerned about all the park admissions, tours, and restaurants. We're bring lots of ones and fives for tipping, but aren't sure how much else to bring in cash. Wondering what others have done.
Thanks!
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 03:44 PM

I found that not too many places accepted the checks. The park's we went to wouldn't take them. Our tour guide for the cloud forest wanted cash too. We were in MA / Monteverde & Arenal. I don't know if they're more accepted in other areas. We wound up bringing most of them home with us.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 03:53 PM

wonderwoman2112, many many places accept USA dollars in costa Rica. Don't bring any $100 bills as many places won't accept them. (they had a problem with counterfeit $100 bills a while ago and are still wary of them.)

Bring plenty of $20's and some $50's, plus 1's and 5's.

You can ask for change in colonnes if you want.

Traveller's checks can be accepted at many of the hotels. At little mom and pop local type stores they may accept cash only.

Usually we bring a combination of as much cash as we can afford to lose, plus 2 or 3 ATM cards, plus traveller's checks, and 2 or 3 different credit cards for international travel.

On this trip, we left just after hubby's father died of Alzheimer's. Hubby was in a bit of shock and actually brought a bundle of cash, no time for careful planning. We don't usually do things this way!!! But we didn't get robbed...didn't see any sign of trouble anywhere. But we were smart though, didn't walk around at night, never ever left our car with luggage in it except at restaurants or mini-shopping centers which had their own security guards. (Look for someone in a security vest, make sure they are a real security guard!)

Obvious precautions, don't bring any flashy jewelry, actually costa rica is a casual country leave all your jewelry at home except maybe a casual pair of eearrings. Never flash cash around on vacation, teach your kids to be discrete with cash from an early age.

Put your cash in more than one spot.

Have fun!
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 08:16 AM

Melissa, I'm planning my first trip to South America, and find your detailed description very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to expalain.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 11:14 AM

We took cash - mostly 20's and singles - along with our CC's.

Everybody took US$ without flinching. Even the smallest vendor has a calculator and the exchange varied slightly from 475 to 478.

We divided the money between us and carried it in back packs or shoulder bags etc when we went from place to place just to be safe. Once at a hotel we put it in the safe deposit at the front desk and some rooms had a safe for a small nightly fee.

We didn't have any problems.

Yours aye,
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied. I have my journal ready to go and I'll post a thorough report when we get back.
Take care.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 02:04 PM

FainaAgain, glad to help, have a great trip. If you have more questions put them on the bottom of my long trip report, "We're Alive! Costa Rica Trip Report: June 2005: Monkeys, insects, and rain...."

Wonderwoman2112, good luck, looking forward to your trip report. Take a pen and 2 pieces of paper with you on nature hikes. Jot down what you see, hear, smell. Really fills in the details for your journal later and will bring your memories alive for you when you return home!