Traveling from DC to Vermont

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveling from DC to Vermont on Saturday October 9th and want to know what is the best route and where is a good halfway point to spend the night. Main reason for trip is leafpeeping. Have reservations for the 10th in White River Junction VT. Wanted to stay in Woodstock but couldn't find a room. Have reservations in South Burlington on the 11th. Looking for must sees for the area.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 02:18 AM

It's always fun to make a stop at Vermont Country Store. Woodstock is going to be mobbed on the weekend. Simon Pierce in Quechee is a wonderful building even if you don't eat there, check out their gift shop, hydro-electric story. Quechee gorge. From Burlington you could take the ferry across Lake Champlain to visit Ausable Chasm but check hours of operation. A really nice, leisurely drive would be to head north and drive down thru the islands. You can be back in Burlington by lunch time. If you garden, Gardener's Supply is in a lovely area just north of town. Color might be past peak by the time of your visit that far north.

The area along Lake Champlain down to Middlebury (great college town) is farming country. We like the area a bit further south in Brandon VT. Their harvest festival is the week before but I think their leaf people are up all month. If it's something you want to see I would make a detour from White River over to Brandon and up to Burlington.
I would avoid Rt 100 on the 11th also the route from Montpelier up to Stowe. Do that area on Tuesday.

If you bake, near White River is Norwich VT and King Arthur Flour. Great shop.

I would not visit Ben & Jerry's and Teddy Bear Factory on a holiday weekend. You can get a map of Vermont's cheese trail so you can visit some farms where they make and sell cheese. From Burlington a trip east to Boyden Valley Winery.

Even though it was 82 deg yesterday in our area of NH, it looked like color was getting stronger. Finally seeing red in the swamp maples in boggy areas, brilliant red sumac along the road, some sugar maples in full color even though distant views are still pretty green. I think you are going to see more color in southern VT for your trip but even if north is past peak, you'll see more reds (oaks) and it will still be pretty.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 03:56 AM

If you need to stay mid-way, you might just consider flying DCA to BVT (Burlington) non-stop on US airways and renting a car. The drive to get to Vermont (and back) from DC is NO vacation.

This would also give you much more free time (possibly 4 extra days) in the area. Do the math (gas, tolls, motels, etc.) - the cost of flying (90 minutes) vs. driving (12 hours) may end up being a wash. If it's more $ to fly, still do the "value math" to see if the extra cost of flying is worth the extra time, less aggravation, etc.

After all, isn't this a VACATION?
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 06:31 AM

Although White River itself is not particularly memorable, you are close to some very nice options. There is a spectacular auto road up to the top of Mt. Ascutney just outside of Windsor offering great views of both NH and Vt. The covered bridge linking Cornish NH to Windsor VT is the longest in the US, and a great photo-op. In Cornish NH is St. Gaudens national historic site, another scenic, relaxing spot. Just outside of Woodstock Vermont is Billings Farm Museum, a very interesting, bucolic place to spend a few hours.