Search

Travel with elderly...where to go??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel with elderly...where to go??

Hello,

I would like to plan a quick getaway with my family for Labor Day weekend and I need help with ideas. We live in California and don't want to travel too far, a few hours in a plane is okay but not more than 3 hours or so. We will be taking my grandmother with us who is in her 80's. As she is getting older, she can't walk too much but I don't want to bore her either by just keeping her in a hotel room all day. We've done Vancouver, Napa, SF, Santa Barbara, LA, Palm Springs, San Diego, Vegas, Reno, Tahoe, etc. We've done Hawaii too but I'm afraid that after a while, she'll get bored as she doesn't go in the water and we've already visited a lot of sites on the islands in the past.

Anyone have suggestions on where else we can go?
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 10:44 AM

how about Victoria, Ca - dont know anyone who doesnt enjoy Victoria - take her for high tea at the Empress Hotel
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 10:48 AM

Everyone should see the Grand Canyon and Mt Rushmore once. Both would be within the distance you describe. Both have good access for the elderly. I just wouldn't let Grandma go for a walking tour down the Bright Angel trail.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 11:02 AM

Have you asked her what type of place she would like to go to? It may be that she wouldn't mind staying in the motel with a good book and the TV while you younger ones did the walking.

I am a lot longer than she is, but I know a lot of people her age. That while we enjoy being with family, we really hate strange beds and travel. It can get very tiring.

However, if she still really loves to see new places, she might have a few good sugestions.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 11:08 AM

Sorry, I don't have any sugestions but this reminded me of something I saw on America's Funniest Home Videos the other night. The family was obviously in Thailand and the videographer panned in on her very elderly Grandma;

"Where are we Grandma?"
Grandma answers "Mexico!"

Kudos to the "Gramdma" for going on such an adventure!!

Old Jun 30th, 2005, 11:08 AM

Check out intergenerational Elderhostel programs. You don't have to attend them all if you want to plan some time on your own.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 11:46 AM

Have you considered a short cruise?
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 12:05 PM

Beachbum, YOu took my suggestion

My family was going to do that for my grandparents 50th anniversary but my grandmother got sick. I think it would've been a good trip as our age span was huge--grandparents in their mid 80s, my mom and her brother, SIL were in their late 50s/early 60s and the grandkids whose ages span 20yrs. I'm really not a cruise person but I think for that type of thing, it was the most feasible suggestion.

Good luck!
OWJ
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 12:28 PM
P_M

I was also going to suggest a cruise. There are some 3 day cruises from LA and San Diego.

When my grandmother was living we did a lot of traveling together. But as she got older, it became increasingly difficult for her to handle land trips, so cruises were the perfect solution.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Victoria, CA - I am a CA native but I don't know where that is. I'll have to look it up.

Grand Canyon & Mt. Rushmore - we've been to the Grand Canyon before, but I'll have to check out Mt. Rushmore.

My grandmother is an immigrant. She doesn't speak English and she has no idea where any place is in the US, even after being here over 20 years! She's never been adventurous - guess you could say she's from the old school frame of mind where she never really thought (or allowed herself to think) beyond raising her family. I want to reasonably show her what the world has to offer before she's really too old to go anywhere and before she passes on. She deserves it.

Cruise - my mom wasn't keen on that idea because she thought the trip would make my grandma seasick. Also, my parents have already done the Mexico cruise.

I'm sorry to sound like I'm poo-pooing all these ideas, it's just that I've thought about most of them before.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 01:18 PM

I would guess the poster meant Victoria, BC
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 01:41 PM

Since it doesn't appear you can please everyone, I'm sticking with a cruise suggestion because that's what I think would be best for grandma. How about up the inside passage to Alaska, where seasickness would be less of a concern?