Travel to get a Standard Poodle

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lost our beloved standard poodle yesterday. We are devasted. Willing to travel (its travel related) to get a new one. Can anyone recommend any breeders within 8 hour drive of Buffalo, NY? US or Canada is ok. Thanking you in advance.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 08:33 AM

Sorry to read about your loss Rachel, I know that pain very well. I hope someone can point you in the right direction for a reputable breeder. Have you tried a google search for Standard Poodle breeders? Good Luck.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 08:38 AM

Try petfinder.com. or the American Kennel Club site (I think it's AKC.org)
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 08:54 AM

I would get in touch with the American Kennel Club and they'll tell you about the breeders in the area. Sorry for your loss - losing a beloved pet is painful.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 09:46 AM

Try the Poodle Club of America. You can do a search and find someone in your area that can give you assistance. I have a Spoo, and found my breeder by researching on the internet. Do check out a poodle rescue group, too.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your good advice and thoughts. Have tried all of the suggested routes and have sent out many e-mails and calls. Thanks wliwl for your friends name. I will call after work. My groomer is also recommending someone outside of Rochester, but i'm waiting for the name/number. It would be a great coincidence if it turns out to be the same person. Hopefully, we'll have a new family member soon!!!
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 11:48 AM

Also try Yahoo classifieds. We listed our Ragdoll kittens there and got ALOT of calls, and all but 2 of the current litter are already gone, so it sure worked for us.

Dog breeds are broken down so you can do a specific search, and it would also include rescue poodles.

Sorry for your family's loss, I know how you are feeling right now, we lost our Rocky (russian blue cat, 23yrs old) and I still miss him everyday!

Just know that he is at the Rainbow Bridge waiting to see you again. You might find some comfort on the Rainbow Bridge website, and you can create a memorial to your wonderful dog there as well. www.rainbowbridge.com
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 01:19 PM

I am so sorry about your loss. I know how hard it can be. If you want a pet not a show dog, how about considering a rescue poodle? While they aren't show quality, they do give show quality love. Go to www.petfinder.org and type in poodle and your zip code and you will get a listing of many rescue poodles in your area.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Fairhope

There are Poodle Rescue organizations. Please consider this alternative

http://adopt-a-poodle.1-800-save-a-pet.com/

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 01:47 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss, my brother in law has a standard that they just adore. I have two westies and I found my breeder at breeder.net.

Good luck
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 02:32 PM
GoTravel

I don't know about poodles but my heart goes out to you and your loss!

I lost my beloved siamese the week of Christmas.

I adopted a one year kitten from my breeder.

She healed my broken heart and then she stole my heart.

Things get better

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 03:08 PM

((&))PS
Pup is a Pet, not a show dog, in case I gave that impression. I mentioned the Grand Champions so you would know that she is not a puppy mill type breeder, she breeds quality poodles and while I could have bought a show dog, our Pup won our hearts.
* We bought him the day before Hurricane Floyd hit the NY area. The lights went out in the room while we were looking at him, we had to stand in front of a window and check him out in the light of the afternoon .. I sat on the floor, my husband put him down, and he ran and climbed in my lap. I think He chose Us!
You do not want to know what it took to convince the Yankee NOT to name that tiny puppy Floyd LOL
I agree with GoTravel, your heart heals much faster with a new pup or kitten in the house. We got Pup about a year before our 18 year old cat died, Pup really helped us through that!
Good luck~
Scarlett & Pup
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 03:38 PM

My sympathies. Hope you find a new poodle as wonderful as your old friend.

(Pup sounds beautiful, Scarlett. Chocolate poodles are so pretty!)
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you. Scarlett, your story of getting Pup reminded me of our travels to get Boomer. We bought him from a breeder in Pittsburgh. Our trip was delayed because of a) a broken car-we ended up having to rent a car; and b) can you believe a snowstorm in Buffalo. Our return trip was interupted by an icestorm in western PA and we ended up staying in a hotel with the puppy. we hadnt planned on having to do this and we didnt have much in terms of supplies. The ice bucket made a good bowl, the bathtub a bed, and boomer soon learned of snow belt weather on his first trip outside on a sheet of ice. both boomer and my husband took a dive on the ice. We are looking for pet quality, not show, and you may be interested to know that one of the top contenders for his name is "Yankee" however after the team, not your husband. I will be contacting carolyn-i did some surfing and found her e-mail address. Thanks for caring.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 10:17 AM

I am so sorry about your loss. Good luck with your search, and I am glad to know of a few recommended standard breeders. We lost our black standard two yrs. ago from cancer (he was our second); but even though he came from a supposedly reputable breeder, he still developed "sebacious adenitis" and lost most of his beautiful fur. A bald poodle is not a pretty sight! Check with the breeders regarding this condition. After loosing him, we rescued a 130 lb. red-bone coonhound (!!). He was on his way to be put down, and I couldn't bear it and took him home. He is the sweetest dog we have ever had; but I still dearly love standards and want another one. Let us poodle lovers know the details when you find a new "baby".
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 10:31 AM

Good luck, Rachel! That is a good story too .. they are the most adorable babies, aren't they? I almost hated for Pup to get bigger..
Carolyn has no personality (rather the personality she has is pretty bad lol) but she knows her Poodles and is extremely strict with the testing and all that is entailed in breeding.
We are considering a new baby to keep Pup company- I think he is bored these days, when he cannot go out in the heat in the car with us.
We are considering a Black this time ((&))
* it will look good with Brown pup *
Yes, my dogs should be color co-ordinated too! lol
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 08:07 AM

I know of an option for you - but in Atlanta, GA. If you are interested in going that far, let me know.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 09:43 AM

Scarlett, have you ever seen a two colored standard? There are two of them in our obediance class, black and white. They are gorgeous and just lovely boys, Bobby and Henry. Too cute for words.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 09:53 AM

I have seen small poodles bi-colored..that is called Party colored, I believe..and while cute, they are not considered "good"..a "good" poodle needs to be all one color.
That said, I had a Blue poodle years ago and as he aged, he went from a blue/black to silver on his legs and face and was amazing to look at!
His name, of course, was Bleu ((&))
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 10:07 AM

I had never seen a standard and these two boys are adorable. I am sure Bleu would have liked my Kerry Blue, whose color transitions were much the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -