Travel Time from Times Square to Chinatown

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much travel time would you allow between TImes Square and Chinatown?
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 09:27 AM

It is 15-20 minutes on subway.
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 09:29 AM

Oops. If I had a definite appointment to keep, I would allow 30-40 minutes depending on how far I have to walk to the Times Square station and how far I have to walk from the station at my destination.
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 09:32 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
If you are using the subway or bus, this is a handy tool -
http://www.hopstop.com/?city=newyork
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 12:22 PM

Any favorite restaurants in Chinatown? Has anyone done the food tour there? Is there good shopping or things of interest to see? We've done Chinatown in San Francisco - is this similar, just on a bigger scale? I'd love any recommendations you guys have.
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 02:01 PM

volcanogirl, if you are in the mood for dumplings, try Tasty Dumpling on at 54 Mulberry Street. You can get six fried pork dumplings for under $2 or, if you preferred steamed dumplings, they are around $3.50 for 8. It is a tiny place so you may have to do take out but there is a nice park right across the street.
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 03:48 PM

Just me, but I'd avoid eating in Chinatown. There's much better fare near uptown
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 04:25 PM

Thanks, mlf - we love dumplings. SiteC, I thought it would be fun to try.
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 05:41 PM

For dim sum without any concessions to Occidental tastes-try Jing Fong. Or Golden Unicorn.

For great soup dumplings and rice cakes-Joe's Ginger or Joe's Shanghai

For slapdash service and a terrific cheap meals-Big Wong (yes, that is the real name) and try the spicy chow fun, Chinese crullers, duck, and spare ribs (they are different than than average restaurant. Or NY Noodletown

For Peking Duck, Peking Duck House

Wherever you eat go to the Chinatown Ice Cream factory for fabulous store made ice cream. They have green ice, almond cookies, and red bean and what they call the exotic flavors-chocolate and vanilla.
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 08:28 PM

Times Square to Chinatown is probably 30 minutes or so. If you are actually staying in Times Square take the shuttle to the east side and take the #6 train to Canal St. It's a few blocks east to Mott St, which is the center of Chinatown. Along Canal there are alot of shops selling junk, souvineers, scarves, purses, junk, knock-offs, watches, gold jewelry, and did I mention junk?

When you hit Mott St, turn right and walk down to any number of good restaurants. My Fav for Dim Sum is Mandarin Ct, served from carts and just ask for what you want, there's also a menu for other specialities.

From there it's a short walk a half block to the Ice Cream Factory, look to your left at the intersection.

Or walk back up Mott to Canal and turn left and head to Little Italy, it will be on your right.

If you are looking for more than Dim Sum, I secodn the suggestion of Peking Duck House, one of the best in the city, if not THE best for well,,,,,,Peking Duck.

Have a great time.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 07:01 AM

Definitely go and check out Chinatown, Little Italy (which is almost non-exsistent now) and Canal St. Unlike San Fran, Chinatown in NY has a very unappealing feel to me (just my opinion). Enjoy!
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 08:08 PM

From Times Square, I wouldn't bother to take the shuttle to reach the #6 train. At Times Square, you can take the N, Q, R, or W trains downtown to Canal Street. All these trains travel a route that moves further east as it moves south, so that by the time you get to Canal Street, these trains stop one short block west of the 6 train stop--the two stations are even connected underground. So there's no need to take an extra train across town.