Search

A Slice of Brooklyn Pizza Tour - leaving from Union Station Manhattan

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
A Slice of Brooklyn Pizza Tour - leaving from Union Station Manhattan

http://www.asliceofbrooklyn.com/pizza.html

Okay, I'm going to rave about this on my trip report, but I HAVE to put a separate post on here so folks know about this tour. I signed up for 4 tours during this week's visit to NYC - and I ended with the best one! I had the best time - and I wasn't the only one. A guy on our bus (from Southern Maryland) said it was the best tour he had taken in his life. It WAS a blast.

Tony is a trip. A great guy and a guy who loves Brooklyn. We loaded up near Union Station in a comfy bus with great a/c and TV screens and we were off. We stopped at great photo ops. We got out and walked around a bit. We visited the boardwalk at Coney Island. Oh. And, we tasted GREAT pizza at two places. Thin crust, fabulously fresh Neopolitan pizza at Grimaldi's and thick crust loaded with mozzarella and sauce at L and B's. Dessert was delicious spumoni. Don't make dinner reservations afterwards because you'll return to the city absolutely stuffed.

All along the way the bus takes you through neighborhoods you have heard of and you watch movie clips you've seen. You trace the path of Gene Hackman's shoot-out and chase scene from The French Connection. You strut along with John Travolta in the opening scenes of Saturday Night Fever. Lots of other clips and Sinatra music to relax to in-between commentary or movie clips.

Tony is delightful. I talked to him on the way "home" and it's going to be tough for him to grow because HE such a big part of the tour. I can't give high enough kudos to the experience.

It's a 4.5 hour tour and it was a perfect "last day" experience in NYC. I could check out of my hotel, store my bags there, take the subway down to Union Square and stroll the Greenmarket and get to the bus on time. Back this afternoon to reverse my route and have the Carmel car pick me up at the hotel. I'm at the airport now, waiting for me flight. Another reason it's a great "last day" event - when your feet are tired, it's good to ride most of the time

I've always been curious about Brooklyn and I found the entire tour and experience delightful. And, yes, the pizza WAS the best I've ever had!

Old Jun 16th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

You can click on a link on the page above and see the Today Show's segment on the tour.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just so no one is confused, the tour starts near Union SQUARE. There is no Union Station in NYC, though there is the Union Square stop on some subway lines.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 06:31 AM

Hi Starrs, besides the pizzerias do you regularly get off the bus for photo opps etc, or is it more of a drive-by tour?
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ellenem. You are completely right. I was tired

You get off the bus and walk around three times.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 07:16 AM

starrs - I am so glad that you enjoyed this tour. I was born in Brooklyn and lived there through college. I wasn't released until I got married - lol - and then I returned every day for nine years while teaching. Brooklyn has fabulous food - restaurants, bakeries, outdoor markets and shops. Food was a huge part of growing up there and we still reminisce about long defunct delis, butchers, fish stores, bakeries and restaurants and the people who ran them. And pizza - well, there were so many options for great pies and there still are. My current favorite is on Cropsey Ave (near where a cousin still lives).

Thanks for stirring up memory lane (a slice and a small coke for 25 cents).
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 07:44 AM

And pizza - well, there were so many options for great pies and there still are. My current favorite is on Cropsey Ave (near where a cousin still lives).

Is that Tontonno's?

There are two in Manhattan now, one on First and about 28th Street which is not as good as the one in the East 80's.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 08:38 AM

Aduchamp1 - No, Totonno is on Neptune Ave, I think, in Coney Island. This is in Bensonhurst/Bath Beach and I think it's La Casa Bella - not famous or on the pizza radar, but I really like it.

I live near the uptown Totonno. I once ordered up and it was awful - do you think it was because it doesn't travel well? Is it wonderful in the restaurant?
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:02 AM

Totonno's (the original on Neptune Avenue in Coney Island) is terrific. My family lives in Brooklyn and my DH and I eat there whenever we can when we visit. It's up there with the great pie places in New Haven (Sally's and Pepe's). I understand that the other locations are not as good because it is so difficult to replicate the original pizza oven. It's worth a trip to Coney Island to eat there.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:44 AM

The Tontonno's uptown is better than the one in the 80's. (I went to high school near Coney Island's Tontonno's and I could never figure out the hours.)

There is a new and very good slice place on 14th Street between First and Second. It is called Artichoke and that is their specialty which I not yet tried. The basic pizza is very Brooklyn as is the owner. Bialy thick crust with a home made sauce and high quality cheese with a sprig of basil. They have a small refrig for soda but I did not see a fountain.

There is always a line which is only partially indiccative of the quality. First they are exceeding sloooooooooooooow. Second, it is teeny weeny and the only place to eat there is one tiny ledges.

But if you are in the neighborhood is worth a try. $2.50 a basic slice.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:47 AM
dmlove

Thanks for stirring up memory lane (a slice and a small coke for 25 cents).

You must be the same age as me (only we had our slice with a Tab

Old Jun 17th, 2008, 11:02 AM

"The Tontonno's uptown is better than the one in the 80's."

Aduchamp1 - I thought uptown was the one in the 80's - I'm confused. I went to Lafayette HS - If you went to Lincoln, don't tell me!!!!!

dmlove - you are 100% right - it was Tab and I don't know how I used to drink so much of it. Probably the main difference between us is you ran away and I'm still here - lol.

MarieF - I will try it. Did you ever eat in Carolina's?
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 11:53 AM

I am sorry, I meant to say the Tontonno's uptown is better than the Tontonno's downtown,

OK Centralparkgirl, I will not tell you I went to Lincoln.

I went to school with Nathan's grand daughter. While she was very nice, everyone wanted to go to her parties.

DM-I am so old I remmeber when a slice was 15 cents.

Old Jun 17th, 2008, 07:28 PM

Aduchamp1 - there was a grandson I think at Lafayette (Handwerker? is the family name). BTW Some of my best friends went to Lincoln - we had to use Lincoln's FB field because Lafayette had none. DH went to Madison at the turn of the century!

And we remember 15 cents a slice - it was 25 cents with a soda.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 08:26 PM

Yes, the family name was Handwerker.

I lived in an apartment house and they kept on re-zoning for high schools. So some went to Lafayette, some Madison, and some Lincoln.

Maybe your DH knows my Mom she was in the firsf graduating class from Lincoln.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 07:05 AM

Hi Centralparkgirl: What's Carolina's - is it another pizza place? LOL about the Tab comment - I thought my SIL was the only one who drank it (and still does!!).
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 07:38 AM

MarieF - Carolina's was a wonderful Italian restaurant in Coney Island. There's another called Gargiullio's and people had their favorites. Carolina's baked clams and gratis vermouth were legendary. Gargiullio's is still around, but I just checked with my cousin and, alas, they are long gone. She eats Italian food in the pizza place I mentioned above (La Casa Bella).

starrs - sorry for hijacking your thread. You can take the girl out of B'klyn, but..............
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 07:48 AM

Centralparkgirl: I am very familiar with Gargiullio's, having eaten many an Easter dinner there with my SIL and my family (my SIL is from Brooklyn; I grew up in Queens). I will have to ask my SIL about Carolina's as I am sure that she has eaten there as well but I suspect she's in the Gargiullio's camp. I've since relocated up to the Boston environs and married someone from CT (Fairfield County) but we visit the NY area frequently to see our families. And yes, once a NYer, always one! I also apologize about the hijack...
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Hey, hijack away. I'm tickled pink to have this topped so often - so more folks will see the thread and, hopefully, will try out the tour.

I wish I could edit my mistake in the title though (Station) but I'm lovin' the topping and reading the conversation