Reload this Page >

Travel time between Portland and Acadia

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Lois

We have plans for a long weekend in Maine in the fall. Right now I have reservations in Portland, thinking that we can do day trips from there. How far [time wise] is it to Acadia Nat'l Park? I know the scenic route along the coast is beautiful, but is that the quickest way to get there? Any suggestions for how to make the most of the weekend would be appreciated.

Old May 20th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Liz

I think it's about 4 hours one-way whatever route you take. You can't avoid Rt 3, which is always slow going. You can take highway from Portland part of the way up, but it won't save you much time.

Old May 20th, 2002, 02:01 PM
gab

We've been doing the drive from New York to BH the past few summers, with an overnight stop in Portland, so I can tell you that it shouldn't take you more than 3 1/2 hours between Portland and BH. Definitely DO NOT do the scenic route if you want to get there quickly; route 1 will be totally jammed.

If you're planning to spend only 1 day in BH, you'll need to leave early to make the most of it. Don't miss lunch at the Jordan Pond House, located within the park.

Old May 20th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Fran

YOU WILL WANT TO STAY IN BAR HARBOR, AND FALL IS THE BEST, AFTER LABOR DAY THE HOTEL RATES DROP FOR WEEKDAY NIGHTS. ACADIA PARK IS GREAT AND A TRIP TO CADILAC MOUNTAIN IS WORTH THE SHARP CLIMBING ROAD. WE STAYED IN A SUITE AT THE BAR HARBOR MOTEL FOR $100 NIGHT THE FIRST WEEKEND IN OCT 2001. WE WERE THEIR TWO DAYS AND MISSED ALOT. THE TRAFFIC IS SLOW AND PASSING IS NOT A EASY OPTION. THE NIGHTS WILL BE VERY COOL AND DAYS WARM. ENJOY.

Old May 20th, 2002, 06:49 PM
joesorce

In the fall even the freeway route will be beautiful. From Portland take 295 north to 95 north towards Bangor, then follow signs for Ellsworth and Bar Harbor (route 395 I think).

Augusta is a good city to stay and take day trips from, you are only an hour from Camden, Boothbay Harbor, Belfast or the Belgrade Lakes region- and about 2 1/2 hours from Bar Harbor. (I'd recommend taking the freeway TO Bar Harbor but the scenic coastal route back if you have time).

Not much to see in Augusta except for the terrific Maine State Museum, and not many lodging choices except for a very nice Best Western.

If you do stay in Portland, make sure to take a day at Sebago Lake nearby.

Old May 21st, 2002, 04:49 AM
Lois

Thanks for the info. I'd like to stay over one night by Acadia. The problem I've come across though, is that most places I've checked [local B&B's] require a 2 night stay, and I'll only be able to spend one night there. Anyone know of someplace I could stay for just one night?

Old May 21st, 2002, 11:00 AM
Kim

Hi Lois,
Too bad you can only stay one night at Acadia. Lots to enjoy there. Well worth the extra night's stay. If you are in a hurry, take I-95 to Augusta, then Rt 3 to Belfast and Rts 1/3 to Acadia. If you have a bit more time and want to really enjoy the coast, take I-95 to Brunswick, Rt 1 to Warren then left onto Rt 90 and follow all the way till you get to Rt 1 again in Camden. It cuts lots of time off the trip and allows you to take in the views in Lincolnville, best coastal views of the water along the coast! I know, we live here! The traffic won't be too bad if you go after Labor Day. There's still lots of wonderful weather into October and the foliage is superb!
There are lots of B&Bs in Belfast, a very short trip to Bar Harbor/Acadia, if you can change your reservations in Portland, and there's lots to do in Belfast as well. The "Tourists" haven't taken over yet! Have a great trip!

Old May 21st, 2002, 02:00 PM
Lois

Thanks for the input. I think I will try to change our reservations to something closer to Acadia, since that's our primary destination. I've only been to Maine once before, and we didn't make it up that far. I did fall in love with Maine though, both the coastline and the lakes inland. I hope it's not too late to book something for Oct. in the Bar Harbor area.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:29 PM
Brenda

Lois,
you can find great info on places to stay all over Maine at the Maine Innkeepers Association website maineinns.com. There are links to most properties listed and they have everything from large resort hotels to inns and b&b's listed. A great resource. Do check it out.