Reload this Page >

Portland to Bar Harbor - advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:25 AM
NewToMaine

My wife and I will be flying into Portland this Friday and are wondering what the prettiest/most worthwhile drive up to Bar Harbor would be? Is Route 1 worth the extra time and effort?

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Liz

I don't think you have much in the way of choice, it's either 1, or take 95 up through Bangor. We usually drive up to BH on 1 (stopping in Freeport for LLBean on the way) from Portland. Sometimes we return on 95 if time is limited, although I'm not sure how much time is saved, since you're adding miles. Perhaps traffic isn't as bad in Oct. as it is in August, when we are up there.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 10:48 AM
NewToMaine

How long is the drive going up 1?

Is the LL Bean factory store worth a stop?

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 04:11 PM
Fiona

YES! We have been there 3 times in the last 4 years when we visited Maine. Freeport has some other nice outlets like Burberry with some nice prices. If you spend the night stay at the Harraseeket Inn just two blocks from LLBean.

Have fun!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Lois

I just got back today from a trip there. We stayed one night in Camden on the way to Acadia, and thought the village and harbor there were worth the visit. Route 1 has some pretty spots. Acadia and the coastline around there is spectacular. The leaves are beginning to turn and we had some sections that were really pretty. You can take Rt. 3 to Rt.1 from Portland, as another alternative. That was how we went back.
Freeport is a really cute outlet town. Not at all like a typical outlet mall. There are places that have good buys and others that are nothing. Actually, the LLBean store is just that, not an outlet. Their outlet has not impressed me, although I've only been there twice, six years apart. There are so many different ones there, though. There's something for everyone.
I came back relaxed and am looking forward to a future trip there again. So far, it's the only place in the states I've repeated!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Donna

As an LLBean customer of nearly 30 years, I can tell you that the store is definitely worth a stop (not to be confused with the outlet, which is terrific if you wear a not so standard size or don't care about colors). At the store, there are sales never seen in their clearance or overstock catalogs and items never found in their outlets. I still adore an alpaca sweater bought for 50% seven years ago.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 04:52 AM
Liz

We always stop in Freeport, so I'm guessing when I say it's about 3-4 hours drive, Portland to BH.