Reload this Page >

Travel Themed Party - Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2000, 08:42 AM
Sheryl

My parents are about to retire. They are both in their early 60's. They have talked endlessly about how when they retire they want to travel! My siblings and I are giving them a retirement party and a trip as a retirement gift. With the help of the this forum and one very kind Fodorite I have planned their trip. Now I am working on the party. I want it to have a travel theme (of course!) and am looking for ideas. Who better to give me their ideas and opinions than Fodorites! Maybe a buffet of foods from around the world? Best dishes and wines from favorite destinations? What are your favorite dishes or wines that you have discovered in your travels? Any and all ideas would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Sheryl

Old May 17th, 2000, 09:53 AM
Emily

Give your parents a preview of their travel experience by serving your own version of "airline food"! Buy a lot of generic TV dinners, arrange all the chairs in a series of rows, REALLY close together, and wander around offering people drinks and demanding $3 in exact change if they ask for anything alcoholic. (All right, it doesn't sound like much of a party, but it could be good for a few laughs!)

Old May 17th, 2000, 09:59 AM
John

I like the idea, of serving them different foods from around the world (get hold of the SUNSET INTERNATIONAL COOKBOOK, or similar tomes for ideas on what to serve, and how to prepare it most simply).Avoid "weird" foods that might scare them, however (balut, frog-on-a-stick, ortolan, et al.)
How about making it sort of a fun, tongue-in-cheek costume party by having the guests dress up as people from the different countries your parents might visit during their retirement?
This sounds like you could have A LOT of fun!

Old May 17th, 2000, 01:11 PM
ellie

One of the best parties I went to was a "Tacky Tourist" Party. Everyone dresses as a tourist, camera(s) around the neck, T-shirts from tourist spots, men wearing shorts with black socks and gym shoes or sandals, binoculars, Hawaiian leis, Hawaiian print shirts, sunglasses, hats, etc. I'm sure you get the picture. Tacky is very easy, just think of people you might have seen on your last vacation! Or read some of the postings on the European Forum on how not to dress.

As far as foods, why don't you ask the guests to bring one of there favorite items from their travels as retirement gifts. It could be a box of chocolate from Switzerland, a bottle of wine from Napa, cheese from Holland, salmon from the northwest, oranges from Florida, etc. That should get so interesting conversations going.

Why not make your buffet centered around the trip you are giving them? For instance if they are going to Colorado, have a cowboy chuck wagon dinner; Florida, a seafood buffet, etc.

Sounds like your going to have a great party to plan!

Old Jun 3rd, 2000, 03:44 PM
Kim

If you need invitations, make them to look like a passport or a airline tickets folder. The airline name could be named after your parents last name. You could hand out travel vouchers as party favors. Have fun...your parents are very lucky to have such considerate kids.

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 05:35 AM
sandra engley

Wish you had mentioned where they are going, as the party could be a preview. For example the tourist boards on 5th Ave in NYC usually have all kinds of posters and brochures on the destinations they represent. As a teenager I had my walls filled with Swiss Alps and Venetian canals that I later visited. If you can't pickit up yourself, try to contact the appropriate office, tell them your story, they will probably send you a bunch of things you can use.

Also, recently went to a Partyrama store to pick up a retirement banner. They have themed decorations like hula girls and palm trees, cowboys and cactus, mexican hat and pinyata,Hope this helps.

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 12:42 PM
sue

Depends if it's an American theme or International. I'm partial to Key Lime pie myself which represents Florida. From South Carolina there's nothing better than cornbread.