Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

kona village on the big island, too hot without a/c in august?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2000, 01:59 PM
lori

i have so many questions...will i regret staying at the kona village resort because it has no a/c in august? also, we are planning to tour the BI alot, does this resort have the services to schedule deep sea fishing and helicopter rides/tours? i love the idea of staying in my own hut, but i'm traveling with others, and they may prefer a/c over secluded huts.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 02:36 PM
Lani

I was on the Big Island in the third week of July one year, at the Royal Waikoloan right up the road from Kona Village. It was close to 90 degrees with humidity to match, and if I'd had no air conditioning, I couldn't have stayed in the area. Just my experience ..........but I would never stay anywhere in August in Hawaii with A/C except maybe Volcanoes Nat'l Park. (Are you getting tired of my answering all your queries, Lori?)

Old May 23rd, 2000, 02:42 PM
scigirl

It is bound to be hot in Hawaii in August. (I live in Hawaii.) August/September tend to be hot because the trade winds die down a bit at that time of year. Various parts of the islands are cooler than others. If the place you are staying is at a high elevation (and thus cools at night), right on the ocean (and thus breezy), and has fans you might be alright. I moved here from south Florida and never found the heat bad (and it is cooler in HI than FL). However, if you are used to cooler climates you will probably want an air conditioner. If the heat gets unbearable during your trip you can alway escape to an air conditioned restaurant or something for a few hours to recover.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 03:32 PM
Lani

Me again! Sorry - in my above post, I meant to say I wouldn't stay anywhere in Hawaii WITHOUT A/C in August except for VNP and other mountainous areas.

On vacation, you like to get a good night's sleep, especially if you're jetlagged, to have energy to sightsee and have fun so I don't want to take a chance on an overly warm, humid room.

Can't speak from experience in this case as I haven't stayed at Kona Village, rather up the road from there. Can't believe it would be too different though.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 04:11 PM
edie

we stayed at kona village for our honeymoon and it was the most amazing place. however, we were there in october, and the nights were perfect. in august you might be hot. also, KV is sooo relaxed (and pricey) that to stay there with your intentions of touring is almost a waste. they definitely can arrange the touring options you want, lots of people did them, but we were coming off our wedding, and three sightseeing days in San Fran, with five more days in maui to follow, so we stayed put. we didnt have a car, spent the whole five days on the beach, kayaking, snorkeling, and well, honemooning!! we didn't leave the resort once, nor did we feel the need to. we toured more in maui. if you want the kona coast, but want A/C, there is the four seasons right next door.

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 01:19 PM
Barbara

Just visited Kona Village and unless you are staying in the hales that face the ocean FORGET IT! Even with a good breeze flowing through the room, at night I missed the air conditioning. Also not very impressed with the quality of the food and thought portions were small when it wasn't a buffet. But the oceanfront hale w/jacuzzi was one of the most romantic rooms I have ever stayed in.

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 01:23 PM
Barbara

ME AGAIN!! Also the quality of the beach at Kona Village is not ideal for lounging or swimming. It's just good enough for kayaking and possibly snorkeling a much better choice may be a beachfront room at the Mauna Kea.