San Francisco - Tours

Old May 24th, 2000, 07:56 AM
Shirley Chadwick

San Francisco - Tours

We are planning a 5 day stay in SF in late June. Any suggestions (done Alcatraz already) on tours? When we were there last year I saw a flyer for a tour of Chinatown. Now I can't find the flyer. Any info on this tour and possibly others? Also, any favorite restaurants at North Beach and China Town? Thanks,Shirley.

Old May 24th, 2000, 10:42 AM
Caitlin

The SF Public Library hosts a large number of free walking tours exploring neighborhoods, SF history, art, murals, etc. Most are on weekends, but some are on weekdays too. There's a web site that has schedules and descriptions (www.walking-tour.com/cityguides) and a phone number with lots of recorded info (415-557-4266).

Old May 24th, 2000, 03:53 PM
kam

Think you might want the Wok Wiz walking tour of Chinatown that was started by Shirley Fong. Try to search on sfgate.com or the SF visitor's site. There's also a walking/historical tour of North Beach. My favorites in North Beach are Rose Pistola, Moose's, Washington Square Bar and Grill and the very old Fior D'Italia, which is touristy but is also the oldest continual Italian restaurant in the country! Go at an off hour and sit in the front room. Although it's a bit tourity, our favorite in Chinatown for dinner is the Great Eastern. Another nice thing to do is to take the ferry over to Tiburon, walk around a bit and then have lunch at Guyamas and enjoy the beautiful view back to SF--it's an upscale Mexican restaurant with great food--make a reservation to insure you get a table, especially on a weekend.Enjoy!

Old May 24th, 2000, 06:36 PM
Gail

There is an interesting tram tour on Angel Island. It seems that every cove has a building or buildings that were built during a different time in history: Civil War, Chinese Imigration, WWII, etc. Although the tram stops only for information, you may get off and tour the site and then get back on a later tram. Some of the buildings-museums are open for touring. Although it will be foggy then, the views are priceless and there is a nice picnic area where the boat docks. I've lived here 25 years, just went for the first time last year and can't wait to get back!

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 10:55 AM
Dee

If you're in North Beach, you've got to get some focaccia. Unfortunately, I can't remember any names, but there's a tiny shop right across the street from the church that has excellent focaccia, but you should get there pretty early because they sell out quickly.

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 09:43 AM
Ruth

We did a Victorian house walking tour last summer that was great fun. Took us to Pacific Heights and ended up on Union St. in Cow Hollow. We started at the St. Francis and took a city bus out to the beginning of the house area, so the walking part wasn't strenuous. I have the phone number at home; if you're interested, I'll post it.

I agree with Kam about Moose's and Washington Square Bar & Grill--a great place for a few drinks. Haven't eaten at Rose Pistola, but had excellent food at its sister restaurant Black Cat. Also ate at Tavolino, which is a Venetian-style restaurant. Excellent food. There are so many good places in North Beach. Our best (and most expensive) meal on that last trip was at Boulevard. It's not in North Beach but near the foot of Market Street if I remember correctly.

Old Jun 3rd, 2000, 08:14 PM
Kirti Schoener

If you'll have a car during your visit, try 'The Ultimate City Tour.' It is a new audio cassette tour (with a detailed map) that guides you along San Francisco's 49-Mile Scenic Drive. You'll see and hear about the Golden Gate Bridge, Golden Gate Park, North Beach, Chinatown, Union Square, and more. www.ultimatecitytour.com has more info.

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 03:25 PM
Kathy

Last time I was in San Francisco, the was a 1/2 day tour offered by a local company of the Sonoma and Napa Valleys. I cannot remember the tour compnay, but I do remember that the tour visited a brandy making place, a winerys and I beliefe a champagne making place. The tour was really nice. Also there is a nice 1/2 tour of the Muir Woods available that was really nice also. Have a fun!