Reload this Page >

travel guides at B&N

Search

travel guides at B&N

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 05:41 PM
crys

travel guides at B&N

I had trouble finding guidebooks for Toronto at Barnes & Noble because I was looking in the 'foreign countries' section. It was in the U.S. section. But not to fear: the Puerto Rico guidebooks were in the foreign countries section. Did I miss some news? Did we make a trade with Canada when I wasn't looking?

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 09:59 PM
Lenleigh

Believe it or not, Puerto Rico is still it's own nation. It is a commonwealth(definiton:Used to refer to a self-governing, autonomous political unit voluntarily associated with the United States, namely, Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands).

You can find more info about their association with the U.S. on the following website.

http://welcome.topuertorico.org/government.shtml

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 03:53 AM
Jen

But Virginia and Massachusetts call themselves Commonwealths, too.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Professional Traveler

Puerto Rico certainly is self governing but it is not an independent nation. The page referenced above even states that the President of the US is the head of the government. It is indeed a part of the US.

The misfiling of Canada and PR is probably simply due to an inattentive or uninformed clerk. I love the way they file books about London in the Ls sometime instead of under the UK/England area.

One would expect better from B&N.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:35 PM
Lenleigh

Puerto Rico is a self-governing commonwealth in association with the United States. The chief of state is the President of the United States of America. The head of government is an elected Governor.

Puerto Ricans consider themselves American but are fiercely proud of their island and their culture. They don't usually call themselves Americans or "Americanos", but "Puertorriqueños" or "Boricuas". To most Puerto Ricans, "my country" means "Puerto Rico", not the United States.

They also have the following:

National Bird: Stripe-headed tanager (spyndalis zena) ("reina mora")

National Flower: Puerto Rican hibiscus (Thespesia grandiflora; Maga grandiflora; Montezuma) ("flor de maga")

National Tree: Silk-cotton tree (ceiba pentandra) ("ceiba")

National Symbol:
While the coqui -a tiny frog found everywhere in the island- is only an "unofficial national symbol", its image figures prominently in Puerto Rican culture and heritage.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:56 PM
Bailey

Try Amazon.com.