Travel from Portland to Olympic Nat Park

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2017, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are from Baltimore, MD and flying to Portland...We want to spend as much time as possible outdoors and possibly camp at Olympic Nat Park...Does anyone have any advice about campgrounds or reasonably priced lodging at Olympic..Or must see places along the way..We love off the beaten path places.. Any travel suggestions are highly welcomed! We have 2 weeks for our trip.so possibly Seattle area and Canada. Any thoughts- Thank you!
Old May 14th, 2017, 06:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
When are you coming? Do you fly with your camping gear or buy it at Walmart when you get to Portland?
For the first night, I suggest camping at one of the good campgrounds in the Columbia Gorge east of Portland.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/crg...camping-cabins
I advise against taking a rental car into Canada.
Take the early Amtrak train from Seattle to Vancouver.
The problem with ONP is that there are no 'through roads'.
Old May 14th, 2017, 07:41 AM

Mt. Rainier is the main attraction between Portland and the Olympic Peninsula.

You could take a ferry to Victoria from Port Angeles. Vancouver is accessible from Victoria by BC Ferry.

The San Juan Islands, between Vancouver and Seattle, are accessible by ferry from Anacortes. San Juan and Orcas are the two most popular islands. Orcas is my favorite, and it offers what you want.

When you rent a car, make certain you can drive it into Canada.

Make any ferry reservations well in advance.

HTtY
Old May 14th, 2017, 07:53 AM

I would suggest a round trip driving around the Olympic NP. You can do it clockwise or counter-clockwise. I would do it clockwise, crossing the Columbia at Astoria. There's a nice overlook of the mouth of the Columbia River from above the city: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...7622981132189/

There are many campgrounds in the area, including in the park itself. For NF campgrounds, take a look at this: https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/oly...47687&actid=29

There are also other campgrounds that are run by other organizations. For example, the Lyre River campground north of the park is free: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...7622991196341/

Neah Bay has an interesting Native American museum, and there is a nearby walk to the western most edge of the continental U.S.

This album represents the circuit I am suggesting:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...7622991196341/
Old May 14th, 2017, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thank you so very much! Such great suggestions...I will look at your photos tonight Michael! We are leaving July 26th and thought mix of camping and airbnb's..WE would either fly with gear or rent equipment...Our son just took a job at Olympic Nat. Park but he has never been to park before.. WE love eating good food, especially ethnic so recommends for Portland on this highly welcome..I really appreciate all the information...
Old May 14th, 2017, 08:18 AM

You could buy and then sell your equipment in places like this: https://nextadventure.net/bargain-basement
Old May 14th, 2017, 10:17 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Miscellaneous thoughts....

IMO the most interesting route from Portland to Olympic NP is via the lower Columbia River, possibly with a stop at Mt. St. Helens en route. I'd follow the north bank of the Columbia (some interesting and historic towns) to Cape Disappointment at the mouth - waves on rocks, lighthouses, Waikiki Beach (the other one) and a great Lewis and Clark interpretive center.

If you want to cross the river to Astoria and possibly head south an hour or so to Ecola State Park near Cannon Beach, fine, otherwise just head north on US 101 to Olympic NP, starting with Lake Quinault and the Quinault rain forest, then past Ruby Beach to the Hoh valley rain forest, a possible side trip to the wonderful beaches near La Push, then around the north side of the peninsula to Lake Crescent and Hurricane Ridge near Port Angeles.

From there I'd head into Seattle via Port Townsend and Whidbey Island.

Seattle is crazy expensive during the summer/cruise season, so I probably wouldn't spend a lot of time here unless you win the lottery. But to return to Portland I'd suggest driving through Mt. Rainier NP to Yakima, then south through terrific old west scenery to the Columbia at Maryhill (fun museum and Stonehenge replica sitting on the cliffs above the river.) I'd then head back to Portland via the Columbia River Gorge to finish the big loop.

Map - https://goo.gl/maps/yybTzAT6dfn

This will give you a remarkable range of sights and experiences - the great river of the west, rugged coast and eerie rain forests, alpine scenery, islands in Puget Sound, cowboy country and the Yakama reservation, Rodin in the sagebrush, and the orchards and waterfalls along the Columbia Gorge.

Accommodations in and around Olympic NP need careful planning - the campgrounds tend to fill quickly and there aren't very many hotels or other kinds of lodgings, particularly on the Pacific side of the peninsula. And like I said, Seattle prices in the summer will make your eyes water. Same goes for Mt. Rainier - staying or camping inside the park is very hard, but there are more choices on either side of the Cascades within an hour or two of the park. (It also can be visited as a day trip from Seattle.)
Old May 14th, 2017, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Again I really appreciate the great useful
information! I printed everything out and will check a map! And I will check out the photos mapson a larger screen