Search

Travel Anxiety??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel Anxiety??

Does anyone else suffer from travel anxiety?? I've been traveling for 20 years and the older I get, the worse it gets, to the point where I'm totally nauseous from the moment I wake up, trip day, to usually the 2nd or 3rd day of my trip. I'm not nervous about anything in particular, just, I guess, not being close to home or something. But I *love* to travel, and this makes traveling very, very uncomfortable, as you could guess. Has anyone experienced this/have any advice?
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 05:10 AM
GoTravel

Sallie, it is very common and there are lots of threads on this topic.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...travel+anxiety

You aren't alone, most of us have boughts of travel anxiety including separation anxiety from our pets and normal routine.

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 05:19 AM
cd

Sallie
I'm sure you are not alone, but that really doesn't help does it? I've been fearful of flying since 9/11. I know it's not rational but that also does not take it away. Soooooo, what I've done is mostly stayed in the States for travel and drive. Totally unrational because my chances of getting in a car accident is greater. However, I FEEL better about it, and enjoy my trip and there are a lot of places in my own country that I have not been to. We also take weekend trips about every 6 weeks which are wonderful!
If I have to fly, well, whether it's morning or not, I have a couple of drinks....which is probably stupid because that will not stop anything from happening, it just insulates me.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 05:26 AM

Hi Sallie. YES! I make my trip plans and the immediately regret them - until I'm there. But I know it's just an annoying quirk and I've decided that I will not let it alter our travels. It's hard but if you just keep moving forward you'll be glad you did.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much...I have felt pretty alone on this. I've tried looking up 'travel anxiety' online and it mostly refers to pets...LOL!! I will check out those links.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 08:59 AM

It is so great to see posts from other people who travel talking about this issue. I had a major anxiety attack nearly 20 yrs ago while recovering from a serious illness and could not travel far from home for almost 10 years. I eventually got tired of missing out on the ability to travel and sought professional help. After only a few sessions I was able to begin travelling again (short trips first) and now my wife and I travel several times a year. I still am not too crazy about flying--I've always been claustraphobic but my personal physician prescribes valium for me to take during my flights and I have managed just fine.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:27 AM

I also love to travel but have a white knuckle fear of flying (This is particularly odd as I never had a fear before my mid-30's).. fortunately for long trips (Africa Asia Europe etc) I pop two ativan tablets that my doctor prescribes (I usually get 5 per trip 2 for the outward bound 2 for the return and 1 for the night before I leave home, when I lay in bed having panic attacks. The only horrible thing is when I fly for business, which I do a lot that are short hops and business meetings right away, in otherwords 8 hours of drug haze aren't acceptable.
For these I usually just chant and sweat.. the only good news is that, if I fly a BUNCH I tend to get more relaxed by the return journey, this past week, I took no less then 7 flights.. by the last one, I could have cared less... though give me a month on the ground and I will be a basket case AGAIN!
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Sam... great point.. and that is GET HELP!. I have a very close friend that is a psychaitrist (sp?). He tells me that travel anxiety is very common and very easy to help.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 11:36 AM

Sallie - I get this too, but for me it usually clears up as soon as I am on the plane. I have a lot of anxiety in the days before we leave and especially while navigating the airport. But as soon as the plane takes off, I'm on vacation and can finally start to relax!
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Argh...you're lucky!! I'm usually nauseous until the 2nd day. My friends all know about it and plan accordingly. I am anti-pills, but I would consider an anti-anxiety pill just for the first day or two, I guess.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 01:13 PM

Hi Sallie, I sure do understand, that has happened to me from time to time but it isn't fear of flying or anything like that. It is making trip arrangements when family or friends want me to visit and the time they suggest is not a good time for me for various reasons. That is how I am feeling right now regarding a trip I am suppose to take in March. I just made up my new 2006 appointment book (a bit late doing that I know) and this period of time is not a good time for me to be gone for various reasons. Haven't made the flight reservations yet and have decided to hold off until I get things straightened out.

Are you or have you "pushed" yourself to take trips that were not a good time for you for whatever reason? Just a thought. Best wishes to you.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 01:39 PM
JJ5

You've hit the nail on the head, LoveItaly. That's one I fell into several times, it's when I'm trying to squeeze me into someone else's schedule and agenda.

I don't get it much at all anymore since I stopped over-scattering myself. But my SO is 60, has been to a war, traveled on more continents than I, has flown constantly and continually during different periods in his life- and is starting to get a related syndrome now. He can't sleep the night or sometimes 2 nights before a trip. This came out of the blue, starting about 18 months ago.

He travels a bunch more than I, so it really is a pain. We don't do a pills route ever. And he won't because he has heart medicine already. He is usually an extremely sound sleeper and can sleep sitting up in any moving vehicle. I can never do that and am a light, broken sleeper at my best. It's rather wierd that he is getting it now.

I'm trying to teach him some relaxation techniques; exercise tightening muscle groups and breathing etc. that work.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 02:39 PM

Hi JJ5, thanks for understanding. The last couple of days have seen me rather nervous and unsettled. I sat down and as I said made up my 2006 appointment book. Than I took a legal pad and listed everything that has to be tended to. Plus I have had some rather unexpected expenses (including storm damage due to the storms we had here in N CA some days ago).

So was feeling jittery and unsettled.

Than saw Sallie's thread. And consequently realized that my problem is I just cannot commit to taking the March trip at this point as much as I would like to. Than just saw your post.

Soooo, am calling family tonight and will explain at this point as much as I would love to see them I cannot commit to the trip..perhaps in February I can. Sure would love to see them but first I need to get a lot of things worked out here. And you know I love to travel!
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 03:01 PM

Sallie and JJ5, I just sent an email to my family to advise them at this point I cannot commit to March..if it works out for me and them I will go..but if not I will see them at some other time.

Sallie, I hope you can work out your issues whatever they are. But please don't feel alone as obviously you have a lot of company. Best wishes to you.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 03:25 PM

yep, me too. Terrified to fly and worried about the pets. And now, I'm leaving my teens for a weekend trip to Mexico, and that's making me even more nervous, wondering whatever possessed me to book a flight out of the country!
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 04:40 PM

Sallie, I absolutely get travel anxiety whenever I venture into the unknown. Put me on a plane back to my hometown, and it's no problem, but even a trip to a destination I've wanted to visit all my life is fraught with anxiety. For me, it is plain and simple fear of the unknown. I reassure myself by telling myself that one of my personal goals in travel is to "stretch" and that will involve being a little uncomfortable. It's always been worth it, though.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 05:40 AM

Sally,

I am the same way! I went to Ireland in 2004 and was that way from the time I booked the trip, and I had just general unease during the whole trip. I agree that it is mainly the unknown (though I hate to fly as a general rule), because I just booked a trip back to Ireland for next month and I am not have the same issues. However, get back with me a few days before the flight!
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

I am not afraid of flying or traveling. It's more like...I get nervous about leaving my cats and my routine. I'll be in Europe, trying to fall asleep, and suddenly I'll feel like: "NO MATTER WHAT, I can't get home right now. If I'm sick, whatever...I am HERE." I feel 'trapped.' And then I get nauseous. Don't get me wrong, I don't dread travel and try to travel at least once or twice per year. The kicker is that this even happens on weekend trips to see friends in other cities (sometimes). I'll be fine, then I'll lay down to sleep and BAM!!! I thought about giving travel up completely...I've been traveling for a long time and have seen a lot...but it's sort of in my blood. I'll make an appt. with my doctor and see if she has any anti-anxiety suggestions!
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 06:43 AM

I am getting claustrophobic and a little anxious as I get older. I also have always LOVED to travel and it is such a dilemna!! I have at least 3 friends who have had anxiety attacks after the age of 40 when it never happened before...I think it is an aging thing. It does help to know it is happeneing to others and you're not going crazy. Good luck, Sallie!
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too suffer from pre-travel anxiety.However, once my bags are checked, I've passed through security and I'm sitting at the gate with my bording pass clutched in my hand-I'm on vacation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -