Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Travel Advisory: Newark Airtrain service to be suspended May 1, 2014 for 75 days

Search

Travel Advisory: Newark Airtrain service to be suspended May 1, 2014 for 75 days

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Port Authority of NY/NJ has announced that the Newark AirTrain will be shut down for repairs for 75 days starting May 1, 2014 to mid-July 2014.

During this time the NJ Transit/Amtrak rail station - Newark Liberty International Airport - will also be closed.

Shuttle bus service will be available and will run between the airport and Newark Penn Station, and with stops at Terminals A, B and C, the airport parking lots and rental car outlets.

If you will be coming from or going to Newark Airport by public transportation during this time, please plan accordingly.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ing_may_1.html

After May 1, keep checking this page: http://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-airtrain.html for additional information.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 12:01 PM

Thank you so much for posting this. I'll be flying into EWR in late April and flying out early May. Was planning to use the NJ Transit to go between EWR and Penn Station. Must rethink the plans now, but I'm so glad to know on the front end than learn of it on the "day of."

Thanks again!
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 12:07 PM

Do you have any idea how often the buses will run between Terminal A and Penn Station, NJ?

Or where to catch them/how to identify them?

And will the buses be complimentary? In the past, the Air Train fee was included in the NJ Transit ticket? If not free, where do you buy a bus ticket?

I probably shouldn't bombard you with all these questions, as you've been very gracious in posting this information. But on the off chance you may know the answers, I'm throwing them out there. =)
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

darlene, that information has not been made available online yet.

I am sure that there will be plenty of signs in each terminal (especially by where the AirTrain would normally stop) as to where you can get the bus.

As for the fare I would imagine that the bus will be free within the confines of the airport (as the AirTrain is now). As for the Airport to or from Newark Penn Station - with the Port Authority it is hard to say but I have a feeling there will be no charge.

The best thing to do is to keep an eye on the AirTrain web page http://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-airtrain.html to see if there are any updates or more information.

If I hear of anything new I will update this thread.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 03:43 PM

Dang, I thought we foreswore royals in the US. This is a royal pain for travelers to EWR.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 03:43 PM

Thank you for the additional information and the link.

Again, I cannot tell you how grateful I am to have this information on the front end! Thank you again for posting!!
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 04:48 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for posting as I was planning on using it for my trip in June. My May trip is out of PHL so no problem there. My Dad likes to tell me how before the airtrain one would have to take a taxi from the train to airport so I guess we should be lucky they offering shuttles.
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 02:05 AM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
My DD is flying out of Newark in May to met us in Hawaii. I don't see there is a problem, you take the train as far as Newark Penn station then catch the shuttle bus, no difference really than getting the Air Train.
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 06:35 AM

NJ Transit buses to Newark Penn Station are across the street from the terminals in most cases--actually across 2 traffic lanes from some terminals--and have always gone to Newark Penn (I don't know the cost, but it's on the web site). To take the NJ Transit bus you have to pay on board in cash (with exact change).

Terminal shuttles will likely pick up around the same place since that's where the bus stops are at EWR (not curbside, which is generally reserved for car and car-service pick-ups). There will be signs, and I'm sure there will be people stationed nearby.

But it's going to be a HUGE difference in taking a train to Newark Penn and then an airport shuttle if you are coming from Manhattan. I would estimate it will double the amount of time it takes to get to the airport. The airport really isn't that close to Newark; it's in Elizabeth.

If you are coming to or from Manhattan, it will be easier to take Olympia Trails buses to or from the city. Those buses load and unload at the ends of terminals, and the actual end varies by terminal. I suspect they will beef up service while the Airtrain is out of commission. There's a booth to buy tickets in the terminal, but when it's unmanned, you pay onboard.
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 08:15 AM

Actually, I shouldn't say you can pay onboard. The company now has machines at their office near Grand Central and may have those at EWR as well (that, you can no longer pay on board in Manhattan, so that's likely to be the policy at the airport as well). Has anyone taken Olympia Trails lately? I haven't because the train is so much more convenient.
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 11:24 AM

The current NJ Transit #62 bus costs T$ 1.50 to Newark Penn Station. The fare box takes dollar bills, no change is given.
Currently there is a bus every 10- 15 minutes leaving from the lower level of each terminal. Pick up is at curbside of the street. There is a waiting shelter and schedule posted nearby. Trip only takes 20-25 minutes to Newark Penn station and can be quicker than the airtrain trip to the transit station.
Most NJ trains travel leave every 30 minutes from the EWR station to Newark and NYP and some but not all Amtark trains stop at the airport station.
The news article says this service to Newark may be free during the shutdown.
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 01:09 AM

This post (like the Airbnb in SF post) is an example why the Fodors community is so awesome! Getting information like that out to other travelers (especially international)is a lifesaver.
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

UPDATE

This is from the Port Authority's advisory page: http://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/advisories.html (it is at the bottom on the page on that link)

"Effective May 1 – July 15, 2014

Due to critical repair work, AirTrain Newark will be suspended system-wide. The Airport Rail Station connecting to NJ Transit and Amtrak will be closed throughout the service suspension. Bus service will be available from Newark Penn Station.

AirTrain Bypass Buses will operate on separate routes throughout the day serving the following locations:

* All Terminals
* P2 & P3 Rental Cars and Daily Parking
* P4 Parking Garage and Valet Parking
* Airport Rail Station connections via Newark Penn Station (NJ Transit & Amtrak). Regular fees will apply.

Please follow directional signage to the AirTrain Bypass Bus Pick up areas.

Dozens of additional Customer Care Representatives will be available to provide information and assistance at each of the bus stop locations, and baggage handlers will be available to assist customers getting on and off the buses with their luggage.Effective May 1 – July 15, 2014

Due to critical repair work, AirTrain Newark will be suspended system-wide. The Airport Rail Station connecting to NJ Transit and Amtrak will be closed throughout the service suspension. Bus service will be available from Newark Penn Station.

AirTrain Bypass Buses will operate on separate routes throughout the day serving the following locations:

* All Terminals
* P2 & P3 Rental Cars and Daily Parking
* P4 Parking Garage and Valet Parking
* Airport Rail Station connections via Newark Penn Station (NJ Transit & Amtrak). Regular fees will apply.

Please follow directional signage to the AirTrain Bypass Bus Pick up areas.

Dozens of additional Customer Care Representatives will be available to provide information and assistance at each of the bus stop locations, and baggage handlers will be available to assist customers getting on and off the buses with their luggage."
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 03:55 PM

Could you repeat that please? LOL
Old Apr 12th, 2014, 05:17 AM

I usually allow about an hour to get from Manhattan to EWR when using the NJ Transit from Penn Station and Air Train. With Air Train being down, can anyone provide a suggestion for time requirements?

Alternately, since I'll be departing on May 3rd, before they've gotten all the kinks out of the interim bus service, do you think I'd be better off taking a bus from the Port Authority (closer to my hotel than Penn Station) to EWR? That's a Saturday morning, so traffic should be on the lighter side.

Thanks for the input!!
Old Apr 12th, 2014, 05:39 AM

I would take the big bus from Port Authority rather than have to trek to Penn station and make transfers.
Old Apr 12th, 2014, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the input. I think that's the best idea too. I'd take the bus in, but we're not getting in until 3:30 pm, which would put us right in the middle of rush hour traffic and make for a long bus ride in.

I think the new plan is Air Train and NJ Transit in and Olympia out. On a Saturday morning, it should only take about 35 minutes.
Old Apr 13th, 2014, 02:52 PM

Yes darlenef17, that sounds like a reasonable plan. However, if you can afford it, consider a car service directly to your hotel. It will cost double the train, but getting a taxi or even the subway at Penn Station during rush hour can also be challenging.

The bus will be fine for the return regardless.
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 08:33 AM

Whatever you do, DO NOT take a taxi to EWR. It does not run on a set fare like to JFK. I learned that lesson the hard way....from Midtown it was about $80 a few years ago!! A car service will set you back because you have to also pay for the driver's return to NYC (stupid rule but can't seem to get around it), but if you get stuck in traffic the taxi fare could skyrocket.

This is a huge pain...I live in NYC and it's easy to fly in and out of EWR if you don't have a lot of luggage b/c of public transport!
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 08:41 AM

Add in the runway construction...

4L/22R is going to be closed through June 1, and then operating at reduced capacity through June 15. It will be fully operational through the peak summer months and then closed one final time from September 20 through 30.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -