Search

Yellowstone/ Grand tetons

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2004, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellowstone/ Grand tetons

Staying in Grand Tetons
(Colter Bay tent village) for 3 days, and various parts of Yellowstone for 5 days in August. I know water levels will be down, but is rafting better(more exciting) in Jackson or up in Gardiner, or is there another option? Any other info on hiking (5-6 miles/day) would also be appreciated. Thanx

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 06:31 AM

We were there last week. The water is very low at Colter Bay. We took a trip down the Snake River, which was great. I don't have any idea about Gardiner. Tons of great hiking in Yellowstone.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 08:10 AM

I would strongly recommend getting a copy of Frommer's very handy little book on Yellowstone and the Grand Teton. It'll answer all your questions...and more!
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 08:14 AM

you will find a lot of info at the Yellowstone chatboard
http://www.yellowstone-natl-park.com/wwwboard/chat2.htm
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 03:18 PM

In the Coulter Bay area of the Tetons a nice hike is to Swan Lake where you can usually see a pair of them (may need binculars). Swans can also usually be seen at Christian Pond across road from Jackson Lake Lodge. At Jenny Lake area can walk around String Lake to Leigh Lake. Can also take boat ride across Jenny Lake (or walk 2 miles) and walk up to Inspiration Point (.9m from boat landing)and/or Hidden Falls and then continue up Cascade Canyon 4.5m to trail jct which if you go right takes you to Lake Solitude or to the left which takes you behind the three main peaks for a view the casual visitor doesn't see. If you like to climb, Amphitheater Lake is surrounded by peaks.
In Yellowstone try trail to Lone Star Geyser, Mt Washburn or Avalanche Peak if you like to climb to an outstanding view.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 04:39 PM

I recently talked to one of the rafting companies in Jackson and was told that the Snake River is dam fed so the water is always at a good level. Most have half day float, half day whitewater. We are going in September. Have fun!