transportation from JFK to Newark airport 1 way

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2017, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gosh I know the horror stories...gotta go from JFK to Newark airport mid august best way to there ? And are there cheap motels near Newark for couple hours stay or in airport.?
Old Jun 25th, 2017, 10:05 AM

How much time to you have to make the transfer between airports???

Personally, I'd take a car service - Carmel and Dial 7 are often recommended.

As for "cheap motel" - it depends on your definition of "cheap" but most national chains have places around the airport, many offering free shuttle service to the airport.
Old Jun 25th, 2017, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Roams..not sure as to time..But I want to give myself plenty, maybe 12 hours or so......I know the horror stories, plus this is summer..what about the shuttle bus...?? Or train thru Penn station..?? which is better..?
Old Jun 25th, 2017, 11:04 AM

As I said, I'd take a car service. Trains and/or shuttle buses are not my preferred mode of transportation so other will have to chime in with comments.
Old Jun 25th, 2017, 02:35 PM

chnaman... There are no trains thru Penn station in the sense of only 1 train. You'd have to take the JFK Airtrain ($5) to the Jamaica station and then the LIRR to Penn Station ($10.50 during peak hours and $7.50 during off-peak hours) and then take NJ Transit to Newark Liberty Int'l Airport station and then take the AirTrain (monorail) to the airport ($13.00 covers the NJ Transit & EWR Airtrain fares on a single ticket).

Due to massive track work being done by Amtrak between 7/10 and 9/1/2017 there will be less LIRR trains going into Penn Station (many will be routed into Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn).

The shuttle bus between JFK and EWR https://www.nycairporter.com/ourserv...ewark-airport/
is one option ($28).

The car services as mentioned by RoamsAround is another and might be a bit more comfortable.
Old Jun 26th, 2017, 04:39 AM

If you have the time, taking the train is probably the fastest way, but it will take almost twice as long as a direct bus shuttle or car service.

The instructions given by nycguy10002 are correct, as are the costs. However, if this is a weekend, you can take a cheaper "city ticket" from Jamaica into Penn Station.

Routes that serve Penn Station from Jamaica and the EWR station from Penn Station will NOT be rerouted in August, and the schedules have already been adjusted, but you can expect some delays of about 10 or 15 minutes on these routes, not to mention crowding if you are doing this during rush hour, which is likely if you are arriving at JFK in the morning.

If you don't want to pay for a car service, then take the shuttle bus, which will be about a third the cost. That really truly is the best way to do this transfer.

And finally my advice. If you arrive at JFK before 9am, then chill in the airport until after 10 (yes, even if you arrive at 6am) and then take the shuttle bus or car service directly to EWR. You'll avoid the worst of rush-hour on any day but Friday or Sunday, when summer traffic is bad almost all day long.

There are no hotels directly at EWR, but there are several nearby that have shuttles, and if you really truly need a day room, you should check. I can't tell you which ones offer day rooms. But a "couple of hours" isn't really worth the trouble. If you have 12 hours, it is, because you can actually sleep for 5 or 6 hours before going to EWR. But if you're going to do a dayroom, all the more reason to book a car service that will take you straight there from JFK. If you take a shuttle or train, then you have to schlep yourself and your bags onto another shuttle and back again since you won't be able to check in for your flight 12 hours early.
Old Jun 26th, 2017, 08:26 AM

I see that I mistyped. I meant to type that taking the train is probably the cheapest way. It is by no means the fastest.
Old Jun 26th, 2017, 09:03 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Car service, recommend Carmel Car. Marriott Hotel is on airport property at EWR.
We have stayed there several times but also with a long layover, have gone there for a meal or drinks to get out of airport. Take their shuttle van.
Old Jun 26th, 2017, 09:42 AM

In 2013, we took a car service - Carmel - from EWR to JFK. Very easy, but about $120.