Train from Boston to D.C

Search

Train from Boston to D.C

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train from Boston to D.C

I just found out we are taking the train from Boston to Washington D.C. I have never taken a train and I have a couple of questions. How long is the journey? Is it comfortable on the train? Do you check the luggage or do you have to carry it yourself? Is there a first class option? Do they have bathrooms on the train? What do people usually wear on the train or is it pretty much like the train. Are the trains neat or messy? Thanks any and all help is most appreciated! **smooch**
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Oh I meant do people dress on the train like a plane. Sorry!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 03:38 PM

There are a variety of train services from Boston to DC. If you are taking the Acela the trip is somewhere in the 6-7 hour range. If you take the regional the train takes about 8 hours, maybe more depending on delays.

The train is extermely comfortable and you ahve alot more room to wander around and there is no uncomfortable seats hitting your knees like a plane. Attire is like a plane though you might see more business casual and suits as the boston to NY and NY to boston have lots of businesspeople on it.

Luggage - can't help you but I suspect no.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 03:42 PM

Dear Muffin,

Here is a link that will give you some information:

http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak

Right now, if you join Amtraks guest rewards program, you can earn a free trip. That will leave you with extra money for the future...you know, when you desire a brand new robe

My son travels by train often. He carries his own luggage. Seats are not assigned and he never mentioned if the trains were neat or messy. I believe the train does have a bathroom - to date, he has not had the need to tinkle in a bottle.

His usual train traveling wardrobe consists of sneakers, jeans, tee shirt, and a sweatshirt and his backpack and roller. Of course, muffin, I would expect that you would want to travel in style and perhaps wear a flamboyant outfit. Will you be bringing your lizard on the trip?

Have a great trip!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 03:53 PM

To answer your questions in order: Most of the day, yes, yourself, no, yes, whatever, and no.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 07:06 AM

I'll do the best I can. (I actually broke this route up by stopping for a couple of days in Philly)

1. How long is the journey?

Depends on the train. Acela is faster, but more expensive. Plan on roughly 8 hours. May be more, may be less. East Coast trains run on a more timely basis than any other trains I've been on in the US. They are terrific!

2. Is it comfortable on the train?

As comfortable as can be expected when you are on something for roughly 8 hours. Train seats are wider and more plush, so you don't feel cramped. Plus, there is more room between the seats, so you don't have to squeeze in or out.

3. Do you check the luggage or do you have to carry it yourself?

There was no checked luggage. When you get the station, a porter may offer to take your bags on board, but he will expect a tip. Unless you have small enough bags to fit in the overhead shelf (similar to an airplane, but they are open), then all luggage is placed either at the front or rear of the car. As long as the luggage is locked, it is fairly safe, though it is not a good idea to have your luggage in one car and you in another! However, if you want to grab a sandwich, it's perfectly okay to do so without dragging bags with you. Just be sure watch your luggage when you arrive at a station so some one doesn't take it by accident.

4. Is there a first class option?

I believe they call is Business Class, not first class. It is usually one of the first cars. The only thing I could determine that was different is that it might be a little quieter and less crowded. But, depending on what time of day you travel, this isn't something you would have to worry about. I don't think it is worth the extra money, unless you are traveling during high rush hour periods.\

5. Do they have bathrooms on the train?

Yes, they do. And they are quite large. If you are used to the cramped airline restrooms, these will surprise you! They are bigger than what I have at home!

6. What do people usually wear on the train or is it pretty much like the train.

Just about anything. You will see men and women in business suits, students/teens in whatever fashions they are wearing now, and everything in between. Remember, you will be on this thing for 8 hours. Dress comfortably.

7. Are the trains neat or messy?

I found them to be quite neat. I think they are cleaned at regular intervals, and the bathrooms are always well-stocked. If not, just let the conductor know and it will be taken care of.

Relax and enjoy! Bring along a good book or magazine, because after a certain amount time boredom does creep in. However, this is truly the easiest, fastest, and most hasslefree to travel between these two cities.