Traffic from north Phoenix to Sedona?

Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traffic from north Phoenix to Sedona?

How bad is the traffic (normally) on I-17 from Phoenix to Sedona on a week day in August? We'd be heading from the 101 loop area, north of Phoenix (near Desert Ridge). I'm a white-knuckle interstate driver, so bear that in mind! Also, is it an easy enough trip with kids, such as plenty of places to stop along the way (rest rooms, quick bite to eat, etc), or long empty stretches?
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 06:14 AM

How bad is the traffic (normally) on I-17 from Phoenix to Sedona on a week day in August?

Not bad at all, especially if you start after 9 AM. The rush hour traffic is heading the opposite way (mostly people from Anthem heading south into town ... heading north you're avoiding all that).

Try to avoid coming back from the high country on Sunday afternoon though.

Also, is it an easy enough trip with kids, such as plenty of places to stop along the way (rest rooms, quick bite to eat, etc), or long empty stretches?

There aren't that many places to stop but it's only a 2 hour drive max, probably closer to 90 minutes if you're far enough north of Phx.

Relax ...

Bill
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 06:27 AM

The I-17 portion of the trip is easy once you are past Anthem, just north of Phoenix. Anthem is a residential community. If you can drive past it after or before commuting hours, you should have no problem.

HOWEVER, Hwy. 179 connecting I-17 with Sedona is just plain awful due to road construction. The Village of Oak Creek, seven miles south of Sedona, is completely messed up and can take as much as one hour to drive. Those seven miles can be bumper to bumper.

Suggestion: leave I-17 at Camp Verde and drive Rte 260 to Cottonwood, and drive Rte 89A from Cottonwood into Sedona. Much faster although not quite as scenic as you near Sedona as 179.

This construction on 179 will last well into September, according to the state highway department. Today, traffic backs up also to the north, clear into Oak Creek Canyon.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 07:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It is an easy and quite pleasant drive, with, as Bill_H pointed out, plenty of rest areas.

The last time I drove it, with my mother, a few years ago now, there was a really nasty accident that involved several vehicles. The whole northbound side of the freeway was completely closed while they flew nine injured people out to hospitals, then cleared the debris off the road. The whole thing took about two hours, and we were all stuck in cars with nowhere to go. There was no anger, though, everyone was just concerned about the accident victims and all the helicopters arriving and departing was something to watch. The point of relating this is really to tell you to be sure to have some water and even snacks in your car, you never know what's going to happen.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 08:21 AM

HOWEVER, Hwy. 179 connecting I-17 with Sedona is just plain awful due to road construction. The Village of Oak Creek, seven miles south of Sedona, is completely messed up and can take as much as one hour to drive.

Is this true for week-day mornings in August, when the lady will be driving up? (Not challenging your answer, terrible weekend traffic is one reason we decided not to buy a home near Sedona, but I'm just curious and wondering how bad it might be on a week-day).

Bill
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. USNR, I had the same question Bill H had... would the construction backup even apply to a weekday? Also, are we sacrificing much in the way of scenery to go 260/89A instead of sticking it out on 179?
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 05:46 PM

The jam goes on every day because of the construction along 179 and particuarly where it meets 89A in the very center of Sedona. Believe me, there is so much scenery in and around Sedona that you will miss very little by taking 260/89A as recommended. One major landmark, the Chapel of the Holy Cross, is only three miles south of the intersection of 89A/179 and, depending on the time of day, will only absorb a minor part of your time. Once the construction is finished, all of us who live here (and particularly those who work in the construction area or must pass through it) will breathe a great sigh of relief. As stated, they expect to be finished in September. And if you believe that, have I got a bridge for you!
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 07:29 PM

The jam goes on every day because of the construction along 179

Good info ... thanks!
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 06:28 AM

bookmarking for Nov trip
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 05:07 PM

Will the 179 delays still be going on in December?
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 05:15 PM

Locallarry: The road construction will be finished long before December arrives.
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 07:21 AM

The construction is at the end of 179 just before the center of Sedona. The length of the construction site is about 3 miles long.

The Village of Oak Creek on 179 has been completed and there are no delays.

I live on 179 in the Village of oak Creek. There is much to see and do around Sedona which can keep you out of the traffic zone.