Search

toursaver worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2005, 06:49 AM
ljv
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toursaver worth it?

My family of 4 is travelling to Alaska Aug.4-15,2006. My parents will be with us,ages65+ and my two kids are ages 7 and 17.
I've heard a lot about the Alaska Toursaver coupon book and am interested in feedback from people who have used it. Is it worth the money? We will be fairly active and wish to do a wide range of activities...rafting,glacier viewing cruise,anchorage-seward train ride,sea kayaking and possibly a fightseeing tour of Mckinley. Are coupons for these activities included? how about hotels?
Any input is appreciated.
P.S. Any must do's? We have 10 full days in Alaska and were planning the Achorage-Seward_denali route.
Thanks,Lori
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 08:32 AM

Hey Lori,
the toursaver for 2005 was just outstanding and well worth the price. you will atleast save 300-400 usd on each book .However the toursaver for 2006 is not yet out. So wait till you make a decision. the website is www.toursaver.com
However a toursaver is good for only 2 ppl. So u mite have to get more than that. Must dos are really dependent on the budget. Check out my trip report and get back to me if you have questions. Hope this helps.
aravind
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 06:21 PM

I have used and recommended the toursaver for years. It is better used for activities for me as I have never found the lodging to be a good value since they are based on rack rates. I also see mistakes people make by using them and being locked into 2 nights in an area where they are trying for activites long drives away. I greatly prefer the wonderful Alaska B&B's.

The new book is supposed to be available in November. Check out all restrictions. Going in August, you may have an opportunity to pick up a used book, but little opportunity to sell a new one. Your coupon requests are the most popular Talkeenta Flightseeing and Kenai fjords boat tour.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 01:22 PM

Yes !!!

It is really worth the money !!
We used it last august and saved almost $ 1,000 !!
We were a party of 4 and had only one booklet. If I went back I would purchase two !! Just one cruise voucher like Northwestern Fjords cruise from Seward already covers much more the money you spend for the booklet!

But wait until the 2006 booklet is available on the web and check the offers on www.toursaver.com

For lodging always mention the 2 x 1 coupon at first request of reservation as there might be restrictions even though hotel still has availability.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 02:26 PM

Hello folks.

I'm planning to visit South East Alaska (Juneau/Glacier Bay) in May 2006. I wont be using any of the South Central Alaska couppns (Anchorage/Sewarad, i'm not visting there).

If someone visting Anchorage/Seward area would like to purchase the Tour Book along with me by splitting the cost, please let me know. Thanks.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 04:46 PM

Hi! My husband and I are considering Alaska next summer. Would like to know more about the Toursaver book. Is there a website with info?

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 03:17 AM

www.toursaver.com

Be aware of all restrictions, email Scott if needing they are not all listed on the web site.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 11:38 AM

YES!! I ordered it online thanks to everyone's recommendation on fodors.com and we received it in about 3 days. We saved LOTS of money! We used it for the Hampton Suites at the beginning of our trip in Anchorage and then at the Inlet Suites at the end. Probably would have preferred to use the Clarion Suites coupon instead of the Inlet because of location to downtown (just 2 or 3 blocks away) and no breakfast at the Inlet, but we walked to and from the Inlet and it is just a 15 minutes walk. The Inlet views are spectacular on the water side, only very noisy due to high way below. We could have used them at several hotels in Seward, but wanted a B&B experience, so we paid twice the price but had lovely experiences. The Sea Life Aquarium/Center in Seward was great, the 9 hour glacier cruise too long, but there are coupons for shorter trips, the Portage Glacier was short, sweet and had a nice visitors center with excellent movie. Use one for your immmediate family and get another for your parents. It will be worth it!! I recommend the flight seeing tour from Talkeetna (2 for 1) around the summit! What a trip!!
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 11:44 AM

Sorry, I said Hampton Suites when it actually was Hawthorne Suites. Comfortable bedroom, sitting room and bath, with breakfast included in the price. Within walking distance of downtown.