Toursaver - what's the downside?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currently planning my 2006 Alaska trip and wondering how far I can rely on Toursaver. Some specific questions:

Do the coupons have blackout dates?

If not, do hotels/service providers have discretion to just refuse the coupons, say in times of high demand?

How does it work in practice - if I want to book 2 nights at a hotel online, do I go ahead and book, then turn up and claim my free night? (My inclination would be to call them up ahead of time.)

I'm interested in your experiences.

Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 03:33 AM

Yes there are restrictions and coupon limits. You need to reserve directly and inform them of the coupon usage for availablity. You will not be able to use a lodging coupon if you don't. Coupons expire, some only good certain days etc. So you need to inquire direct from each vender what the availablity is. Coupons also change, so don't book anything now for next year until the new books come out which will be the end of this year.

I never find the lodging a great deal since I stay in B&B's and all are 2 for 1 nights, again sometimes not the best use of time.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 03:50 AM

We got a toursaver book before our trip to Alaska this year and quite honestly didn't use it. You need to go to their website and really look over what's in it to make sure you'll be doing any of the things the coupons are good for before purchasing. Also, we didn't know that they had specific dates on them and since we went very early in the season most of the coupons were not valid yet. There are some really good deals and sometimes, depending on what you're doing, just using one or two coupons more than pays for the book. If you go early enough in the season you can sell whatever portion of the book you don't use on this sight. Mine sold very quickly.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers both of you. I don't think I'd be using coupons for accommodation, as I usually prefer b&b's to the bigger places, but I might well get a book if I can figure out in advance what other stuff I'll be doing.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 01:13 PM

I reconfirm that it is almost impossible to use these coupons for lodging ! I just quote now one of the reply I received, although they still have good availability:

"Do to the extreme popularity of the Toursaver coupon books, we no longer have any rooms available. We had limited availability of rooms for that special and they have been sold out for months. For the week, you are inquiring, we have good availability......"

I got same answer from

- Seward Holiday Inn
- Denali Park Resort (McKinley Village Lodge and McKinley Chalet Resort

So I fixed other kind of accomodations.

B&B are anyway cheaper but not very suitable for a family of 4 (!!) as we are, as usually rooms are for 2 people, 1 dbl bed or 2 twin beds.

With my surprise and although my enquiry to them was made right in these days for end of next month (very short notice !!) toursaver 2 x 1 coupons will be accepted by:

- Glacier Bay Cruise
- Northwestern Fjords Cruise, Kenai
- Talkeetna Aero Service, and also Talkeetna Air Taxi.

All said they still have availabilities in many days next month so no limitations by now for toursaver coupons. I could therefore book everything very easily. Something else I still have to check...

Old Jul 30th, 2005, 02:49 PM

Surprise !!!

Alyeska Prince Resort in Girdwood will honor our 2 x 1 toursaver coupon !!