Reload this Page >

Touring the California coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 1998, 07:53 PM
J.D. Mang

Planning a drive all along the coast of California in May, have ever been to this state. Please advice on what to see, what to stay away from and what the weather might be like at that time..thank you for your information..

Old Jan 31st, 1998, 12:02 AM
j.a.huber

the coast in may is a great idea, but bring some rain gear. sometimes it rains, and with this el nino you never know what will happen. big sur, hollywood, disneyland, monterey,santa cruz, san francisco,paramount's great america,napa,the russion river, mt .shasta[calif.'s only semi-active volcano-haha]. you can't lose on whatever you do or go. oh i forgot san diego,remember the superbowl?long beach, malibu. take your pick and have a great time!! let me know if i was any help!HAPPY TRAILS

Old Feb 1st, 1998, 07:55 AM
Tricia

Hi, I live in Southern California. I just drove up the coast to Santa Maria. Got off the 101 freeway and went out to the Ventura pier. Have lived here all my life and thought, you know, I drive by it all the time and never go see the pier so off we went. We drove around and saw beautiful homes, drop dead mansion sittin on pillars on the beach. Right there not far from the waves. We were at the point where the land takes a hard curveline and you could see it for miles. Breathtaking. White white sand. I saw people just sitting in their cars and taking in the salt air, the seagulls, the waves! There are 4 channel islands along the coast and I have only been to Catalina. They have cruises that go out to the others from Ventura. They are more Wildlife refuges. As I headed inland up to Paso it was breathtaking. The hills are so green this year. And nice big fat cattle were grazing those hills. Yesterday we took the Grapevine (Interstate 5)to Bakersfield and again very beautiful. Stopped near Magic Mountain and looked at the huge rollercoasters. Castaic Lake is up there and it was so beautiful. Anyways, you must be driving, your car or a rental. It would be wise to joint AAA (auto club) That way if you break down you have a free tow, you can stop in any city and get help. They will give you free tour books of every state in the country which list things to see and do, wine tours of the Napa Valley, hotels to stay at and if you want they can make you a trip guide. You can't miss with them. Hope you enjoy our state!

Old Feb 4th, 1998, 11:12 PM
brooke

You'll have a great time if you give yourself plenty of time. I've lived in both northern and southern CA, both have a lot to offer. Up north, be sure to go to the Redwoods in Eureka. Don't forgt Mendocino, our answer to Cape Cod. Sausalito and Marin Coast are spectacular. I'm also fond of San Simeon, and Cambria- don't miss Hearst's Castle (you'll need reservations if you hit it on a weekend). Plan at least 2 days in Santa Barbara. You probably won't need rain gear in So. Cal, but wouldn't rule it out in N. Cal. Have a great time!

Old Feb 6th, 1998, 10:38 PM
alejandro

I've been twice to California for my holidays. It's marvelous!
I have driven from San Francisco to LA, and from LA to San Diego.
The first drive includes Monterey, the 17-mile drive, Carmel and then get into the Pacific Coast Highway all the way down. You will love that! Stop at Hearst Castle. Passing Santa María and before approaching Santa Barbara, proceed to Solvang, a little danish town that's wonderful. Then enjoy Santa Barbara and get into LA, enjoy specially Malibu and Santa Mónica. Then, you have to go to Long Beach and visit the Queen Mary. After that, you will have a string of wonderful resort places and beaches like Huntington Beach, Newport Beach and specially, Laguna Beach. Then proceed to San Diego, another wonderful place on earth. All the way down , don't forget to visit any mission. Try to visit at least one.
Enjoy your trip, and if you want much more information, I will be very glad to give it to you. Just send an e-mail. Bye, bye

Old Feb 10th, 1998, 08:50 PM
Polly

The mission at Santa Barbara is spectacular and equally so is the Rose Garden across the street. Do not overlook the courthouse in SB...very unique architecture with incredible features...has been used as settings in many movies/tv shows. Drive the mountain pass between SB and Solvang. The change in terrain between these two points is emphasized by this route. For a truly eclectic experience, stay at the Madonna Inn in St Luis Obispo (sp?). It has theme rooms so spring for the most outlandish available ($$$) for it will be the talk of your trip for years to come. Don't miss the Hearst Castle. When you start your trip, buy a cheap cooler; stock it with ice, cold drinks and snacks. Pulling off at scenic overlooks is greatly enhanced with an impromptu picnic...makes you take time to enjoy the view!