Reload this Page >

locating a hotel on times square for millenium celebration

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 1998, 10:11 PM
jeff smead

I am looking for a nice hotel directly on times square in new york city to begin planning a trip for the big millenium celebration (new years 1999) for eight people (four couples) Does anyone have any information about hotels directly on times square, the millenium celebration, etc. ? I would appreciate any information that anyone can provide. Thanking you in advance Jeff Smead

Old Jan 29th, 1998, 11:51 AM
Carla

Doubletree Guest Suites is in that area, 49th & Broadway. Great place to stay!!

Old Jan 29th, 1998, 11:33 PM
Jackie

Try 1-800-96 hotel. They discount hotels all
over and can help you according to location.

Old Feb 2nd, 1998, 06:40 AM
Erin

My mom and I stayed at the Edison last Labor Day and while it isn't fancy, it has recently been renovated; the rooms are clean, the staff is wonderful, and if you're planning to be out and about, you don't need a luxury room anyway. They have a website too. It will be interesting to see what rates are like (everywhere) for 12/31/99.

Old Feb 2nd, 1998, 08:49 AM
Tricia

There was a posting by someone coming to NY for New Years from Europe in Fodor's Europe forum, wanting to know where to stay I found a website through the EXCITE search engine and found him a hotel. I think it was the Sheraton-1200 rooms- he wanted a room with a balcony so as to see the festivities and Sheraton has those. I will try to find my posting again or the website to make sure that was the name!

Old Feb 11th, 1998, 04:57 PM
Elaine

Give a bit more info...what do you plan on seeing while you are in New York? Will you want access to East Side, Uptown, mid town? (All are easy to access, it is more a matter of convenience) What are your tastes? Do you prefer a certain chain? Whatever you do, book soon and place your deposit! New York in June sells out one year out, so I can only imagine the demand here for 1999. (Those of us who reside here are looking to RUN out and be anywhere BUT N.Y.) Nah, but it is a great city!
As to seeing festivities from the Sheraton, the "action" is typically in Times Square; the Sheraton is located several blocks North or, uptown, of Times Square. Not knowing your likes and dislikes, here are two hotels I can highly recommend: RIHGA ROYAL on the West side, I believe around West 51 or 53 Street. It is between 7th and 8th however 2 blocks over and you are mid town; you can walk to Radio City Music Hall, to Times Square, to 5th avenue shopping and to Rockefeller Center. (And Central park, if you so desire) Museums are but a short taxi ride or if your adventurous, a train ride. GREAT restaurant and lounge, a great little hotel with beautiful rooms, with large sitting areas. Keep your eyes open because there are ALWAYS celebs around somewhere! And the Broadway Millenium Hotel on West 45 St. just off Times Square. Again, not a large overwhelming chain hotel, it has an art deco atmosphere with African Mahagony accents everywhere and a great staff all around. My fav. personally though his the RIHGA. (Maybe because I used to work at the Millenium!) Feel free to write if you have any specific questions!