Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Touring from St. Johnsbury VT to Calais,ME.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 07:01 AM
Heather

We are taking a drive from St. Johnsbury VT through to Calais ME (on our way to Nova Scotia) and would like some suggestions. We are planning to take HWY #2. Any ideas of places to stay, sights to see would be appreciated. (around June 24th).
Thanks!!

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 03:34 PM
Betsy

I used to live in StJ VT and used to travel to Sunday River, ME often, so maybe I can be of some help for that leg of the trip. Probably the best places to stop are around Mt. Washington. Detour down to North Conway for the best selection of restaraunts, shops and hotels. Route 2 is VERY rural--Gorham NH is the biggest town between StJ and the ME border. There are a few lodging and eating opportunities in the Bethel, ME (sunday river) area. A good restaraunt is the Sunday River Brewing Co. Hope this helps a bit!

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 03:35 PM
Betsy

I used to live in StJ VT and used to travel to Sunday River, ME often, so maybe I can be of some help for that leg of the trip. Probably the best places to stop are around Mt. Washington. Detour down to North Conway for the best selection of restaraunts, shops and hotels. Route 2 is VERY rural--Gorham NH is the biggest town between StJ and the ME border. There are a few lodging and eating opportunities in the Bethel, ME (sunday river) area. A good restaraunt is the Sunday River Brewing Co. Hope this helps a bit!

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 06:13 AM
Heather

Bestsy, thanks! Is Hwy #2 a scenic drive at all?? Is it worth it?
We are planning on spending one night
in St. Johnsbury. Any recommendations as to cheap lodging?

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 06:47 PM
Betsy

Hi--
Route 2 is very scenic, especially around the Mt. Washington Region. Just pray for a beautiful sunny day. If it's overcast, the mountains will be hidden by the clouds. As for staying in St. Johnsbury, the nicest hotel is the Fairbanks Motor Inn located on Route 2 just west of town. The Yankee Traveller on Route 2 a little west of town is OK too. There are no chain hotels in town. For a good dinner, drive to Danville, about 7 miles west of StJ on Route 2. At the blinking light in town (its a small town), take a right and the Creamery Restaurant is on your right. Eat downstairs in the pub. They are closed Sunday and Monday. Another good restaraunt is La Cucina, located on Route 5 (Railroad St.). Just ask around. It's a pretty small town and people will be more than welcome to point you in the right direction.
I forgot to mention before that the Maple Grove Museum on Route 2 east of STJ is a neat little place to stop if you are interested in the Maple Syrup industry. On Main St. is the Fairbanks Museum & Planetarium, and also the Atheneum--the towns library with an incredible art gallery. Hope this helps--Post any more questions if you have them.

Old May 3rd, 1999, 10:47 AM
Heather

I actually spoke to someone who said they really enjoyed the Yankee Traveller, said it was log-cabin style although outside of town a bit. Is it far from restaurants etc.? Thanks, again for all your help!

Old May 3rd, 1999, 04:18 PM
betsy

The Yankee Trav. is across the street from a pizza place and just down the street from a steak & seafood place. As I mentioned before, it's a pretty small town, so just drive around a bit and you'll see the movie theater, the chinese restaraunt, and the all the shops. A good place for breakfast is Anthony's ( it MAY be called Rosie's now-just ask at the hotel desk. They'll know) between the movie theater and McDonalds in downtown.