Search

Tour to Hana

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Diane

Tour to Hana

Has anyone taken a tour to Hana. Where do they stop along the way? Can't decide whether to tour or drive myself.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 10:23 AM
xxx

the advantage of driving yourself is you can explore more. the disadvantage is that it is such a curvey narrow road, you have to keep your eyes on the road and can't enjoy the scenery.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Yvonne

If you get car sick, skip this drive! It is very curvy! Allow yourself 5-6 hours. The fastest you will drive is 30 mph. It was very scenic but I was green (and I drove part of the time!)

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 11:48 AM
jb

I agree with Yvonne. I never get car sick but I was queasy by the time we got to the top.

I think the tour is a better idea than driving yourself.

If you do get carsick, take dramamine ahead of time.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Diane

Actually we did drive ourselves about 15 years ago. All I remember is being scared to death that we would go over the edge. I was watching for every bus coming the other way. I didn't get car sick though. I thought I might appreciate it more if we took a tour.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Celeste

I was born/raised in Maui and I've always driven myself..my husband couldn't take it being in the back seat. The reason I like on my own is that you take your time and go to places the tour doesn't. Make sure to leave early to miss the am traffic and the afternoon traffic going through Paia. Get a convertible. Maui No Ka Oi! (maui is the best)

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:47 PM
Bob

The road is really not that bad. I think the issue is one of preparation. It is like a buffet...there is so much, you can easily lose sight of the purpose - the road itself. It is a beautiful drive! We had a convertable and thoroughly enjoyed it. The only way it could have been better is if we had some cool jazz to listen to - but then we would not hqave heard the birds. Oh well..Pick two or three special spots you want to see and go by the rest! enjoy the drive - go early to miss the traffic.

We went all the way around. There was only one spot where there was any steepnees off the side of the road and it was no where near as bad as Red Mountain pass in colorado. The problem with the back side is the road condition. basically dirt road and then 13 miles of pothole patches. It is, however, a unique contrast in climate zones and you will have an oportunity to see a major lava field. I was surprised at how many vehicles, and tour buses went all the way around.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 07:36 PM
Ani

Drive yourself and get a little Maui travel guide-they can tell you where to stop for little hikes and swimming holes with waterfalls.