Tour of Colorado and NM

Old Aug 15th, 2016, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tour of Colorado and NM

Hi, I'm be doing a tour of Colorado and NM in October and am looking for ideas. We have two weeks and will be starting from Denver. We'd like to cover Denver, Rocky Mountain NP, Mesa Verde, Santa Fe, Taos, ABQ, Roswell, Carlsbad and Colorado Springs. Is this too ambitious? Are we missing somewhere? Will be extremely grateful for advice on itinerary, hotels, places we should go, eateries and anything else you consider unmissable, thank you!
Old Aug 15th, 2016, 01:49 PM

It seems a bit ambitious to me, especially when you add Carlsbad and Rosell to the mix. How many people are going? Any children?

Lee Ann
Old Aug 15th, 2016, 04:22 PM

What are you planning to do in those places? If you are just going to drive through and say you were there then you can do all the places you mention. If you are going to actually explore the places then maybe cut down on sites or add days.

Do plan to stay in the park at Mesa Verde.
Old Aug 16th, 2016, 01:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. There are just two adults going, me and the Mrs.

This is my draft schedule:

Night 1 and 2 Denver
2-3 RMNP
4-5 Mesa Verde
6 Taos
7-9 Santa Fe (will visit ABQ from there)
10-11 Roswell
12 Carlsbad
13 Amarillo
14 Colorado Springs
And the then to Denver Intnl

We want to explore as much as possible, and see as much as we can so it's a toss up between travelling and exploring. Should we miss Mesa Verde and see Bandalier instead, which will cut some distance? But is Mesa Verde too good to miss?
Old Aug 16th, 2016, 03:01 AM

Off the top of my head -
Skip Amarillo
Stay in Santa Fe and do a day trip to Taos after Mesa Verde
Do NOT miss Mesa Verde, Bandalier is no where near as magnificent.
No time in Roswell, nothing worth any time
Do try to fit in Carlsbad, the caverns are pretty amazing.
I would skip Colorado Springs, you'll see a lot of other nice areas and unless the Air Force Academy is your reason for going, don't bother.

Depending on when in October you are going, I would make it a point to attend Albuquerque International Balloon Fesitval. It is a must do in my book. You need to plan on more than 1 day in ABQ because the balloons don't go up if the weather is not perfect and you WANT to see them launch. weekend launches are better than weekday, but if you can only work in a weekdays, it's better than not attending.

IF you haven't bought your airline tickets yet, I would flying into DEN and home from ABQ. It would save backtracking to Denver and give you more time to see the places of interest along the route.

I would consider adding on:
Acoma Pueblo, west of Albuquerque
Tent Rock, between Santa Fe and Albuquerque
Chaco Canyon, between Mesa Verde and ABQ

It would be great to stay IN Mesa Verde, but it is likely booked up.You can call every day and see if there is a cancelation, other wise, stay in Cortez [closest to park entrance] or Durango.
Old Aug 16th, 2016, 03:24 AM

I agree with DebitNM about Roswell, if you must give it a look on the way to Carlsbad.

Do your "days" indicate a day in the area or a night spent there between sites?

Are you taking into account the time it takes to get from place to place? For example it is about 8 hours to drive from RMNP to Mesa Verde. Keep calling MV for a reservation in the park as there are cancellations frequently.

MV to Taos is about a 4 hour drive and a couple of hours from there to Santa Fe, so depending on what time you arrive there, you might easily see Taos and move on to SF.

While Bandelier is not as magnificent as Mesa Verde, it is different enough and interesting enough to make it even as a day trip from Santa Fe, only an hour or so from there.
Old Aug 16th, 2016, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! This advice is really useful! The numbers indicate nights so, for example, we'd have one day in RMNP. Maybe I will just have a quick look at Roswell, but it's legendary here.
Old Aug 16th, 2016, 07:44 AM

We stopped at the UFO Museum on the way back from Carlsbad. Probably spent an hour there. I don't know what you would do for two nights.
Old Aug 16th, 2016, 10:06 AM

Listen to DebitNM. She lives there. I'd skip CO Springs, and even skip RMNP myself (we live in Denver). Spend more time lingering. Fly open-jaw as Deb suggests.
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 01:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I have already taken the advice on Mesa Verde and booked accommodation and a tour. Already got airline tickets so can't do open jaw now. Thanks on Roswell, will do as you suggest. Interested in why I should skip RMNP? Is it not that good? I love your National Parks and the rangers are so good.
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

If anyone is interested here is a report from a previous road trip, a sort of Limey cultural observation. I did post it as a report but the moderators removed it as I think they thought it was an advert, it's on my book blog. Please moderators, I really am just reporting back on my US trip!
http://theroyalfactor.blogspot.co.uk...-what-you.html
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 05:42 AM

I don't think Tab would say it isn't worth it in any way shaper or form. It is a wonderful wonderful park. I think it is a time constraint but in that you are coming from a LONG way, don't miss it. CO Springs IS a "can miss"as is Amarillo, and Roswell (to me). Mesa Verde is can't miss.
Deb is your "guru".
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 06:03 AM

I love RMNP! Scenery and great hiking. Hopefully Trail Ridge Road will still be open. Estes Park is the gateway town outside of the park which can get crowded and many consider that the park. It's not! Its just a place to eat and sleep before spending your time in RMNP. You should be there during the elk rut.

www.nps.gov/romo/elk_bugles.htm
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all again, I can't tell you how helpful you're being, and I have acted upon your advice. I read about the elk rutting, and the bugling! Sounds incredible! I hope the Trail Ridge is open too.
Old Aug 19th, 2016, 09:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
RMNP mountain scenery is spectacular.

In addition to the elk bugling, depending on when in October and what type of weather we have been having, you might catch some fantastic fall color in Southwest Colorado near Mesa Verde.

Look into Telluride, Ouray, Durango. See here:
http://media.thedenverchannel.com/ph...034_ver1.0.jpg

Consider lingering there instead of pushing 600+ miles round trip to Carlsbad from Albuquerque or Santa Fe. Perhaps have a contingency plan depending on weather. October is definitely "in like a lamb, out like a lion" month.

Have a great trip whatever you decide.
Old Aug 23rd, 2016, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much, much appreciated.
Old Aug 23rd, 2016, 02:30 PM

Here's a spanner for your works, but it may be useful.

Arrive in Denver on __ day and then fly to Albuquerque either that day or the next (cheapo flights on Southwest, your bags are free too). ABQ is worth an overnight, if only for the Nuke museum and a couple of museums closer to downtown.

From there, do a loop that goes down to Carlsbad and back to Santa Fe via Roswell, go north to Tent Rocks, Mesa Verde, RMNP, etc.

This way, you're not driving all over the mountain states to and from Denver.