Search

Top NYC Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Marsha F.

Top NYC Hotel

I will be heading to NYC in June and I am thinking about where to stay. There are just so many terrific sounding places that I just can't decide. What do you think is the best/top hotel in NYC?

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Statia

I have stayed at The Plaza and it was pretty nice, so that might be an option for you. However, I usually opt for something less expensive since I'm only there to sleep. I'd rather spend my money seeing the sites and shopping.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Frank

Four Seasons & St. Regis.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Patrick

I would second Frank's suggestions. I've not stayed at The Four Seasons, however, but would think it would be my number two choice after St. Regis, which I found to be one of the finest hotels I've ever stayed in. Oh, if only I could usually afford to stay at either!

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 09:10 AM
irene

The Four Seasons I think is by far the best hotel in NYC, but very expensive and it is not the only great one. There is a new W in Union Square which is great. I don't really like The Plaza - it looks tired. There are also some good hotels in the SoHo area such as The Tribeca Grand, The SoHo Grand and The Mercer.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 07:09 PM
kbn

We like the Rhigha Royal which is now a JW Marriott..all suite, great location, close to Rockerfeller Center, Radio City, Central Park, Broadway, 6th Ave. & 5th Ave. shopping!

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 05:13 AM
lisa

Surely someone will put in a vote for the Peninsula and the Pierre?

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 09:38 AM
Marsha F.

Tanx to all for your comments and suggestions. Anyone else want to add their 2 cents?

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 10:54 AM
Patrick

It's probably been close to ten years since we stayed at the Peninsula. While our room was beautiful, the service left a lot to be desired. We arrived in New York about 5 PM and our room still wasn't ready. They let us use another room to change in as we needed to change before the theatre and we were off to meet people before that. During the rest of our stay our room was never made up before about 4 or 5 in the afternoon, and when it was, they went ahead and turned down the bed apparently to avoid doing a separate turn down service. We tried to get some simple help from the concierge, like just finding out the locations of a couple of places, but he was not interested in helping us when we told him we already had our dinner reservations for the whole stay and already had all our theatre tickets, etc. Apparently he was more interested in getting tips for such services than he was in just being helpful. When we asked him where the restaurant was where we were meeting our friends he said he didn't know it, but he actually handed us a phone book so we could look it up. He was not busy helping others at the time, by the way. It was not in the same league as St. Regis or I'm sure The Four Seasons.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:41 PM
Kirby

Stayed at the Four Seasons recently for the first time and could not have asked for better experience. We've stayed at FS hotels all over the world and the NYC hotel is one of the better ones IMO. Outstanding service. Outstanding location. Roomms very nice, but we had a 1BR suite so I can't comment on standard rooms.
I checked carefully into Peninsula, St. Regis, Plaza Athenee, etc and could not find an alternative hotel which seemed to provide a virtual guarantee of satisfying my expectations other than FS.
Rooms at the Plaza are roulette style....many different types, many very small, many worn, etc.
Age of hotel rooms, decor, and room size were the biggest problems with most of the better hotels (including Peninsula).
I'm certainly more particular than most, but I like to get what I pay for, too.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 04:12 PM
barbara

Depends on your style. The Peninsula was renovated a couple of years ago and the rooms have all the bells and whistles. The Four Seasons has chache and very large rooms (try to get a corner- they're wonderful). I enjoyed staying at the Mercer as I like Soho and the location is great..but we had a lovely interior room with vibration from some sort of machinery directly behind our bed. I would suggest looking into the Lowell or the Carlyle (now a Rosewood) for a quieter understated elegance on the upper east side.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 04:24 PM
amber

In my opinion you can’t get any better than the Hilton. We will be staying there again this year in May.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 07:21 AM
Marsha F.

Thanx again to all those who replied. Your comments will be taken into concideration. Any other comments are also welcome, so feel free to post more!

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 09:10 AM
xxx

I would say the Carlyle on the Upper East side is the most regal, luxurious (and expensive) hotel in the city. If you want something closer to the theater district, I would go with the Plaza at Central Park, the Michaelangelo on 7th, the Essex House at Central Park or the Four Seasons which is on the east side. Good luck!

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 10:20 AM
xxxx

The Hilton? You mean like The New York Hilton? Surely you are joking Amber. Compared to what? A Motel 6 in Alabama?

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 04:51 PM
suzy

I have stayed at the Plaza 3 times over the last 3 years and I agree that getting a great room is a crapshoot. I just stayed at the NY Palace and the location behind St. Pats is fabulous. Being near Rockerfellar Center and Saks is not a bad deal. The hotel is very lovely and we saw the ex-Duchess of York Sarah Ferguson as we were checking out several weeks ago. I do agree that if you're willing to spend top dollar than the Four Seasons and St. Regis are probably the top games in town. My frinds just stayed at the Peninsula last week and had a fabulous experience and they stay at the best hotels in the world. I've only eatten breakfast at the 4 Seasons so I can't vouch for the rooms--however, the buzz is always great about this place.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 05:01 PM
By

In the 5th Edition of Zagat the NY Hilton got the same rating as the national rating for Hampton Inns and Fairfield Inns.
Interestingly the national chain rating for Hilton was only one point above Hampton and Fairfield using a 1-30 scale.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 05:09 PM
Maxie

Troll.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 05:29 PM
mai

I have stayed @ the Carlyle(quiet, understated, excellent service, beautiful rooms)...Waldorf-Astoria (very nice rooms, excellent food)...but I was VERY disappointed @ the Plaza (rooms were dismal...I've stayed there twice and was disappointed twice...food was so-so) I haven't been @ the Four Seasons, but from all of the fantastic comments, I think I will the next time i visit. Have a great time. I SO love NYC.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 06:01 PM
David

check out the Michelangelo. Fabulous smaller Italian hotel in Rockefeller Center area. Great service and concierge, James. Also, previous writer liked Rhiga Royal - also very nice and roomy. I think you will have no crapshoot for room size and quality at these.