Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What do you know about the Flamingo Lodge, Everglades National Park?

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 10:53 AM
cd

Has anyone stayed at the Flamingo Lodge, Marina & Outpost Resort accommodations in Everglades National Park in Florida?. Recommended? Things to do?

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 12:59 PM
cd

Anyone?

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 02:09 PM
travellyn

If it's the only lodge in the park, then my husband and I probably stayed there 10 years ago. It was motel-like, with sliding glass doors that looked onto the water. We were quite comfortable. A big hurricane came through the next year, so I don't know if it's the same place.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 03:09 PM
jessie

I stayed at the Flamingo Lodge a year ago. It's fine. Typical national park lodging. It has a motel feel. Clean and comfortable. We had a nice room with a sliding door that opened up to a nice expanse of lawn. Great view of the Gulf.

My mother stayed in one of the cabins, which was a lot funkier than our motel room, but it did have a kitchen.

Make sure you visit ecco pond. Just minutes away from the lodge with fantastic bird watching. Also Anhinga Trail for bird watching and alligators.

We took a wonderful boat tour out of Everglades City through the 10,000 Islands. I think there are similar tours from Flamingo.

Have a great time.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 03:55 PM
cd

Thank you both for your replies. Have you seen what they call their suite? It's supposed to have a kitchen and living area.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 04:15 PM
jessie

Hi cd,

I haven't seen the suite. Is it in the motel part of the Lodge? If so, that sounds nice. It's always nice to have a kitchen. I forgot to tell you that I had a room on the ground floor. It was so easy to slide the back door open and walk down to the water.

If your next question is about restaurants, forget it. No news there. Strictly National Park fare. . At least the main restaurant at the lodge has a very nice view.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 04:17 PM
jessie

cd,

One more thing, the Flamingo Lodge has a nice pool.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 05:20 PM
cd

Thanks Jessie

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 06:20 PM
Carol

We stayed at Flamingo 3 years ago, in one of the cabins. There's a kitchen/living area and a separate bedroom. There are two units side-by-side in the same cottage so you do have neighbors. They were OK but pretty run-down. The kitchen is fully functional but there's no grocery store in the park, just a small convenience store, so you need to bring food in if you want to cook.

We took two boat trips (up the river in daytime, out on the bay at sunset). OK but not exciting. We greatly enjoyed the various short hikes. (You have to drive to most of them.) If we go again we'll rent a canoe and paddle around one of the marked trails.