Search

Top 10 must sees?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2015, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top 10 must sees?

Looking for suggestions - my first time to NYC - Top 10 must sees? Will be there 7 days.

thanks!
Old Aug 10th, 2015, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eiffel Tower.
Old Aug 11th, 2015, 03:32 AM

The Met
The Guggenheim
The Frick
The Cloisters
The MOMA
The Museum of Art and Design
The American a Folk Art Museum
The Tenement Museum

Oh gee, not a museum fan? Maybe you should have given us a clue as to what you like before asking such a general question.

The Highline
Central Park
Fort Tryon park
The zoo

Gee, going in freezing winter temps and don't like strolling in the cold? Maybe you should have given us a clue as to when you were planning to travel.
Old Aug 11th, 2015, 04:05 AM

You've chosen to spend 7 days here and don't know what you want to do?

The Subway Central Park The Met The Highline MOMA the 9/11 museum the African Burial Ground Smorgasburg The Fringe Festival Open House New York Hell's Kitchen Grand Central Terminal The NY Historical Society The Museum of the City of New York Woodlawn Cemetery Greenwood Cemetery The Highline American in Paris an off Broadway show an off off Broadway show The Cloisters -- I could go on and on and on but you will get more info as stated above if you list the top 20 things you think you want to do and when you are actually making this trip and who if anyone is coming with you.

A Guide Named Sue
Old Aug 11th, 2015, 04:49 AM

When will you be here?

Will you be alone or are there others with you?

What are your interests? (There can easily be dozens of different top 10s based on your specific interests.)

My top 10 would be as listed below but yours may be very different:

The Met
Museum Nat'l Hist/Planetarium
Statue of Liberty (if you are still several months out and have time to get tickets)/Ellis Island
Staten Island Ferry
Top of the Rock
Central Park (look at website of the central park conservancy to get details on attractions, ranger walking tours, etc)
NY Historical Society
Exploring a couple of neighborhoods on foot - residential and/or trendy (do a couple at night and eat/people watch at sidewalk cafes if warm enough)
Broadway show and ballet or symphony or opera (depending on interests) - or Shakespeare in the Park depending on exact dates
9/11 memorial

But if you have a special interest - such as architecture or fashion or whatever - it will be completely different
Old Aug 11th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

So Sorry about not giving details - new to this sort of thing
We will be there Aug 26- Sept 3 - my husband and I. Have not been museum goers in the past but interested in seeing at least one. Love sports and an array of restaurants. Parks - the High Line sounds really fun. Want to see a couple broadway shows but other than that really have no clue. We haven't done a big city like this before.

Thanks for all the suggestions! And again - sorry for lack of details, I will do better next time.
Old Aug 11th, 2015, 04:54 PM

Well for broadway shows you should buy discount tickets now for best choice of tickets and to avoid wasting vacation time standing on line. Use broadwaybox.com - they will have all the discounts. Then pickup the tickets at the theater will call.

For sport - if you want baseball go now to web sites of Yankees or Mets - have not checked to see who is in town - again to get best choice of tickets at your price point.

Not sure what you want for dining. What types of food do you like/dislike and what is your price point.

And if you tell us your hotel people can reco places nearby.
Old Aug 11th, 2015, 04:55 PM

Oh - and whatever you do avoid any of the chain restaurants. The have the sam awful micro nuked food as at every mall but the prices are WAY higher here.
Old Aug 11th, 2015, 06:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If you will visit only one museum I'd recommend the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Take a look at the website and decide which areas you'd like to see. You cannot see it all in a day, or two, for that matter, so you have to pick and choose.
Old Aug 11th, 2015, 06:57 PM

The Metropolitan Museum of Art has something for everyone. Even though you're not usually museum goers, don't miss it!

Other top highlights for me include Central Park, Top of the Rock, a Broadway show (do some research and pick one suited for your particular tastes) and a visit to the Statue of Liberty. I wasn't as wowed by the High Line as most posters on this forum are, but it was a pleasant enough place to go. I just wouldn't classify it as a don't miss place personally.

Walk around and explore different neighborhoods like Greenwich Village. Spend some time in Chinatown and have some dim sum. Check out Grand Central Station.

So much to do, have fun!
Old Aug 11th, 2015, 08:34 PM

On our first visit last year, our must-sees were the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the 9/11 Memorial, and the Statue of Liberty. We couldn't get tickets for the statue, so we took the Staten Island Ferry so we could at least see it.

We had a free day in May on our way back from Italy which we used to visit the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

We planned to visit the Tenement Museum, the Intrepid Air/Space/Sea Museum, and see a show a couple of weeks ago, but had to cancel all that. If we get back to New York, those will be on the list.

Lee Ann
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you NYtraveler for your patience with me - much appreciated. And thanks for the tips and suggestions!

And thanks so much to you all for your suggestions! I love to hear what other people rate as their top 10! It will be interesting to see how our experience will compare!

thanks again!
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 02:45 AM

Try some research
http://www.fodors.com/world/north-am...y/things-to-do
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 08:20 AM

I hope this isn't too obvious a tip, but I thought if you're not museum goers, it might be worth saying: in a museum the size of the Met, which would take weeks to see in its entirety, it pays to get a map at the entrance and decide which galleries to see. You can also do this online in advance, if you prefer. Simply wandering around, you risk wasting time looking at things that don't interest you while missing the things that do.

The Frick is on my Top Ten list, but then, I really like small(er) art museums. Theater, in general, is also on the list--everything I'ver ever seen in NYC has been memorable.
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 09:59 AM

Some fun touristy things to visit in Manhattan:

Ride the escalator at Saks Fifth Ave and see if you can spot a celebrity.

Shake Shack in Madison Square Park

Morgan Library

Green Market in Union Square Park. Lots of shopping around USP, including world's largest Barnes/Noble, ABC Carpet and Home, DSW, Fishes Eddy.

Grand Central Terminal. Look at ceiling, lots of shops and restaurants.

Take a walk through Central Park

Levain Bakery on UWS

Angelika Theater or Lincoln Plaza Theaters for art house, foreign films.

Soho (South of Houston Street) for shopping, trendy area. Visit the Prada Store on Broadway to see Rem Koolhaas design. Pearl River Mart!

Lower East Side, Il Laboratorio Gelato on Orchard Street.

Thin, used to work in the Empire State Building
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 10:02 AM

You are here in time for the last few days of the fringe festival. See my post elsewhere and you will be here during the free Met Opera HD festival at Lincoln Center. This is a great way to taste opera for an hour or so if you don't want to sit through the whole performance.

A Guide Named Sue
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 10:05 AM

Oops the Fringe Festival goes until the 30th
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 08:16 PM

If you don't love museums, but still want to pick something to see at the Met, I suggest The Temple of Dendur. It will blow your socks off.

http://www.metmuseum.org/collection/.../search/547802
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 08:39 PM

Thin

Pearl River will close at the end of the year due to a ridiculous rent increase from $100,000 a month to $500,000.

It sounds like they will probably keep their on-line presence but it is unclear if they will open elsewhere.
Old Aug 15th, 2015, 07:06 AM

Adu, I read that Pearl River Mart was closing at the end of this year at its location on Broadway.

I have bought so much stuff from their basement over the years that I could probably open my own crockery shop.

Whenever I dine at L'Ecole at the French Culinary Institute, I stop by Pearl River Mart.

Manhattan is now a place for tourists and the rich.

Thin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -