Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

To the Editors of Fodors: What does it take for you to delete a thread, and why does it not happen despite the complaints you receive?

Search

To the Editors of Fodors: What does it take for you to delete a thread, and why does it not happen despite the complaints you receive?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 06:33 AM
Fan of Fodors

Fodors Editors:

I really enjoy this board, but there is a troubling issue that requires your attention. From time to time, someone posts a noxious thread for the sole purpose of being noxious. The current thread on fat people in Europe is one. The posts on the Airline board are another.

Can you please explain why these threads are not promptly deleted? I understand why a single noxious post might escape your notice, but long threads that go on for days and that generate e-mails to you from me (and probably others) ought to result in some sort of action. And are you able to block access to the person responsible for all of this (Fatty McFatty)?

I know I will be accused of attempting to censor or police the board. But the truth is that I don't want to do that. I want Fodors to do that, as it is their board.

Thank you.

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 07:44 AM
tjb

Why don't you people STOP starting threads about policing this forum and just use this for TRAVEL related discussions. IGNORE the threads that offend you. SKIP them. DON'T read them. Threads like this are just as annoying as the "noxious" you are so concerned about.

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 09:16 AM
please

Please delete this nonsense. Can't you people get a life?

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 10:33 AM
Another Fan

If you want to complain to the editors, you'll have better luck contacting them directly than posting here. They can't be expected to monitor the boards all day, but they do read their own mail. Go to the Fodor's home page and click on "Write to Us" or "Contact Us" or something like that. Alternatively, you can follow links from the Travel Talk home page -- go to the FAQ and you'll see what to do.

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 10:41 AM
Fan of Fodors

Sorry this thread irritates you. But as many of you know, Danny and the Fodors folks do sometimes address questions posed directly on the board. I thought I would try, since the e-mail route was ineffective.

Dave, that was pretty funny!

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 10:45 AM
AC

Dear Fan:
Just to let you know that a Racist and rude thread appeared and disappeared on the Europe thread not more than ten minutes ago. Someone's monitoring the board, believe me!

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 11:02 AM
Fan of Fodors

AC, I saw that, but when I saw it, it was only an offensive title with no message. Does that mean Fodors intervened, or does it mean someone only posted a title with no message? I always assumed it was the latter.

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 11:05 AM
AC

Dear fan:
No. I read along with Sharon M and someone else. It was written in Capital letters and was terrible. Mentioned every ethin group on the planet!! After it was deleted, the poster--danielthestud(figures) posted it again and demanded it not be deleted. It was. I am wondering if DTS will try it again!

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 11:09 AM
Another Fan

Yes, there was a revolting racist message on the Europe forum that was pulled. I had e-mailed Fodors asking it to be deleted, and perhaps others had, so it's unclear whether they were monitoring the board or responding to the e-mail(s).

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 11:13 AM
Annie

Fans:
Good point! Though it was gratifying to see Fodor's react so quickly!

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 11:29 AM
Fan of Fodors

Well, then. It seems that Fodors is catching the worst of the worst of it, and for that, I am grateful. I guess I can suffer the rantings of McFatty if Fodors is already trying and doing the best it can.

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 09:40 PM
Val

The first person here wrote this BS:"Can you please explain why these threads are not promptly deleted.... long threads that go on for days and that generate e-mails to you from me ought to result in some sort of action.
I know I will be accused of attempting to censor or police the board. But the truth is that I don't want to do that. I want Fodors to do that, as it is their board. " So YOU want to tell Fodors what to censor. What made you God of these boards buster boy?