Best Route from Grand Canyon to San Diego?

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 10:09 AM
ellen g.

Best Route from Grand Canyon to San Diego?

Dear Fodor Experts,

Which route would you suggest traveling from Grand Canyon to San Diego? I am looking for the most 'direct' route this time. And what is the approximate drive-time?

Thanks in advance!

BTW, just made reservations at El Tovar for next summer! I'm amazed they still had availability!

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 10:41 AM
Ozzie

Ellen:

Jiminy Crickets! Look at a map!

Anyway, Arizona Route 64 south to I-40. Take I-40 West to I-15 South. Stay on I-15 until you get to San Diego. Take Route 163 south if you're staying downtown.

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 07:38 AM
Al

Alternatively, you might come south on 64 to I-40, backtrack a bit to Flagstaff where you would pick up I-17 southbound, and at Phoenix pick up I-10 westbound; at Buckeye take 85 south to Gila Bend and I-8, then west all the way to San Diego. This suggestion is made because weather conditions might make other routes unsuitable. In all, this route should take you about 11 hours.

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 11:38 AM
ellen

Thanks, Al. The route you described is the one I thought seemed more direct. What is your concern regarding the 'weather conditions'? This will be in July 2001. And we're very familiar with the heat at that time of year! ;-)

Oz, the way you desribed is a little too close to metro-LA traffic ~ been there, don't want to do it again!

Thanks guys, and for any additional info, also!

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 12:40 PM
Ozzie

Ellen:

I-15 is 40 miles east of Los Angeles, I've never experienced traffic on that road. By the way--if you so have time to stop--Temecula has several nice wineries, and a nice side trip off the I-15 is Mt. Palomar--home to a huge telescope and two smaller ones. The drive up the mountain is scenic.

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 04:00 PM
Al

Summertime--July, August, September--is monsoon time in Arizona, with high winds, blowing dust, and locally heavy rain. That was what I was referring to as weather conditions. Incidentally, there is a new way to avoid coming into central Phoenix to pick up I-10 westbound. Loop 101, which you enter off I-17 as you enter the Phoenix area, will take you westward and then south to pick up I-10, thus avoiding congestion of central PHX.

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 11:48 PM
Cal

Ellen:

I live in the San Diego area. The route suggested by Oz is probably the best one to take. I have taken every possible route there is in S. California, Arizona, and Nevada.

64 -> I-40 -> I-15 -> San Diego

Traffic is not bad on I-15 except for Sunday afternoon/evening. That is when all the folks are returning from Las Vegas. You will be out of the normal Los Angeles commute traffic.