to Hana .. drive or fly???

Old Jul 13th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to Hana .. drive or fly???

we will be flying form Kauai to the Kahului airport in Maui, we will be then going to the Hana Maui ranch resort, should we fly or drive, I know the drive is about 2 or 2 1/2 hours from that airport, and the flight is 15 minutes...
we dont particulary like to drive to much, but is the drive absolutely incredibly worth it.. or is it long and exhausting and would it be worth it to spend a couple $100 for the convenience of just flying over to Hana on a 15 minute flight, then rent a car when we get to Hana to explore the o'heo gulch..etc....

we'd prefer to fly for convenience, but if the drive is a must do..? or is the destination of Hana itself the only must here???

thank you!!!
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 01:24 PM

In my opinion the drive is a must do!!! Not only are you driving through the US's largest tropical rainforest, but there are even CD's/tape tours to explain and guide you through this beautiful area.

Driving the Road to Hana and exploring the sights and stops along the way is the notable experience, the town of Hana itself is not overly spectacular.

The only reason I can think of not to drive, is if someone in your party gets carsickamp; which may be accentuated by the many turns in the drive to Hana. Since you will have your luggage with you, suggest that you do not leave valuables within your car if stop and explore. You can always return later to a particularly interesting area after you've unpacked.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 01:27 PM

As far as Hana is concerned, it is the journey not just the destination. Its a beautiful drive and most people drive it just to turn around and go back to where they started. Look how lucky you are, you will get to stay for a while.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 01:32 PM
sap

My opinion is that it's worth it. Plus, it would definitely get you in the mood for Hana. It's all about the experience, not the destination. (We tend to always be in a rush on the mainland.) Pop in a Hawaiian CD, enjoy the lush beauty around you and settle into a Maui frame of mind.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 01:34 PM
sap

How funny, Dawn and John. I was typing the same thing you were at the same time.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 01:37 PM

Reply to SAP, apparently great minds not only think alike, but also at about the same rate
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

well, seems unanimous, guess we'll have to rent that convertible and make the drive!!

any tape you recommend (how does the tape know where you are.... stupid question probably)

or, should I just pop in some nice Hawaii music...

also, how do you know if someone is coming from the other direction.... as you are driving ... and someone is coming at you over the one lane bridges????
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 02:19 PM

RE: one lane bridges

The signs tell you that you're approaching one. You get up to the white line before the bridge and stop. I THINK the signs on the Hana Hwy tell you to yield to one direction or the other, that is, if you're going north, it may tell you to yield to the southbound traffic. It was a year ago we were there and now our Kauai trip has me a little mixed up. If the sign doesn't tell you who to yield to, the Revealed books say that the side with the biggest line of cars goes first--if the car in front of you goes, you go. People seemed to be practicing this method pretty well on Kauai.

Maybe someone can correct me on the Hana Hwy yielding--DO the signs tell you which side goes first?

love
roxy
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 02:36 PM

Have not compared the various CD/tapes widely available on Maui (e.g. Kmart/Walmart, bagel shops etc) though a couple CD/tapes are referenced in this recent thread:http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34509470
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 06:10 PM

You yield to oncoming traffic, no matter which direction you are travelling. It is not a race to get across first, and proper ettique is the last one at the bridge yields to the waiting vehciles. Many people have trouble with this concept of taking turns. Other rules of etiquette: pulll over and allow cars behind youy to pass, especially if they are locals. Only honk your horn on a blind turjn and never at another driver. if you want to pass, blink your lights. Wave or give a shaka to the other drivers as your pass.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 07:30 PM
sap

Regarding the courtesy and the shaka: All but one of the dozen or more locals we passed coming around the south back from Hana gave us this wonderful gesture. I couldn't believe how pleasant everyone is. I haven't seen that kind of friendliness since I was in the midwest many years ago. Just goes to show you what having a positive, low-key (aloha) attitude can do!
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 07:53 PM

OMG,

I just responded to this same thread (a double post??) and said the same thing that y'all did about "travel not being the destination"... that was weird.

That aside to say ALOHA everyone!