Search

To go or not to go

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To go or not to go

UK couple got a chance to vacation at Berkshire Beach Club on Deerfield Beach. I understand this to be a good quality timeshare resort. Is it a good spot and is there good restaurants nearby. Long way to come to be disappointed. Also wanting to visit west coast any recommendations.

Many thanks.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 07:40 AM

I'm familiar with Deerfield Beach (my parents live nearby in Boca Raton) but hadn't heard of this property before (not surprising). I did some searching online and found some reviews here which seem to be legit and in keeping with what I see online in terms of photos.
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-3434...e_beach_club-i

The place is small (only 13 units) and not fancy but looks clean. From the map link on the site I posted, it appears to be near an area I know well. We had friends stay at the nearby Howard Johnson's. Your place is just north of there according to the map on that link.

There are several restaurants within a few blocks walk (heading south) that we like...the Whalebone for seafood, Flannigan's for steak and ribs and an upscale place on the water whose name escapes me (I think it's JR's). There's a shopping center on the Intracoastal on Hillsboro, the main east/west street that also has some decent restaurants(2 with views of the intracoastal) but this is a longer walk. The area is not fancy but not rundown either. I would suggest renting a car. There's some nice shopping in Boca Raton, which isn't far, at all price points including the Town Center Mall with Bloomingdales & Neiman Marcus, along with some great discount stores (not at that mall) like Steinmart, Marshall's, TJ Maxx etc.

Whether this is worthwhile obviously depends on how much you're paying and what you're looking for. This is not posh.

When you say you want to visit the west coast, assume you mean of Florida? You'll have to provide folks with more input in terms of type of location, budget etc. I've driven to Naples from this area but it's a long boring drive.

If you're flying from the UK, imagine you'll fly into Miami. If that's the case, instead of driving 3+ hrs to the west coast & 3+ hrs. back, you might consider a second location on the east coast, maybe in the Keys or near Miami which would put you closer to the airport.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 04:01 PM

When you say "west coast" do you mean "west coast of Florida" or "west coast of the USA" (which refers to California, Oregon, Washington and neighboring states)?
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for that. Reviews look ok but do you think Boca Raton would be a better place to stay and yes I did mean west coast of florida. We have two weeks to explore that coast.

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 02:22 AM

"...do you think Boca Raton would be a better place to stay"?

Better for what? You've offered no info about length of stay, your likes/dislikes, interests, ages, whether you'll have a car etc. This property looks very basic (but ok) to me. There don't appear to be any amenities like beach chairs. It doesn't say anything about parking. Have you looked at the photos?

There are no hotels/motels in Boca on the beach apart from the very expensive Boca Raton Golf & Tennis Club Club. Perhaps there are some timeshares I don't know about. If you're going to have a car and this is free or very inexpensive, it looks fine. There is no big difference in the beaches b/w Deerifield & Boca, at least none I'm aware of.

I know very little about timeshares, but Delray Beach, just north of Boca has a Residence Inn by Marriott that has apartments that are a block or 2 from the beach. Delray has what you'd call a High st. with many restaurants & some shops and would be a better spot I think, if you won't have a car.

If you're just looking for affordable apt. rental on or near a beach, Lauderdale by the Sea is very popular as is Singer Island. If you do text searches for those locations, you should find lots of good information.

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 03:22 AM

Mclor:

Your right Lauderdale-by-the-Sea may be a better option for them, just over the drawbridge to Ft. Lauderdale, plenty of restaurants within walking distance, with many selections of motels. Surich might find there are many many other Brits and Europeans in this beach resort too. He might not feel as foreign if he stated there.