To DC: Fly in to Reagan or Baltimore?

Feb 16th, 2002, 04:44 PM
n

To DC: Fly in to Reagan or Baltimore?

Going to DC - it's cheaper to fly into Baltimore, but wondering about length of drive / cab fare into the city. Staying at JW Marriott (right across from White House). How long to drive and how much will cab cost?

Feb 16th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Kim

Well driving from BWI into downtown DC would take about 40 minutes to an hour depending on traffic. I've never taken a cab that route but I'm sure it would be close to $100. It would probably be cheaper to take cab from Reagan National or you can get to the White House in about 15 minutes by taking the DC Metro Blue line to the Farragut West stop. If you need a map of the metro stops you can find it here:
http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.htm

Hope this helped a little

Feb 16th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Reagan National is VERY convenient and a cab to your hotel -- depending on the time of day, of course -- is going to be consistently under $20 with a tip.

Feb 16th, 2002, 06:21 PM
xxx

I frequently fly in/out of BWI and I find it to be an easy airport to navigate. All things considered, unless there is an extraordinary price difference I would recommend flying into Reagan for the convenience. If you are flying in/out at the wrong time of day you could end up stuck in traffic for a considerable time.

Feb 16th, 2002, 06:22 PM
Bob Brown

I just recently bought a ticket between the DC area and Atlanta. Cost was a more important consideration than time.
At the time of purchase, flights from BWI to ATL were the cheapest by more than $40.00 including all taxes and other addons.
Flights out of Regan were the most expensive by more than $50; flights out of Dulles were somewhere in the middle.
The trade off is commute time.
Depending on your origin or destination, BWI has the longest commute times and Regan the shortest.
Van service from BWI to the door was less than $40.00. Cab fare is as indicated for Regan, but the Metro station is convenient to Regan airport.
It all depends on your budget and the type of convenience you need.
A business man in a hurry goes to Regan.
A student short on money coming home for Christmas flies to BWI.

Feb 16th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Amy

There is currently a bus service from BWI to the Greenbelt metro (suburban DC) which then goes directly into DC. Cost2.00...great buy.

Feb 16th, 2002, 08:23 PM
will

Another option from BWI to D.C. is Amtrak. I believe that they still run the Metroliner from BWI to D.C.

Feb 16th, 2002, 09:56 PM
NDCaLot

Although there's a free shuttle from BWI to the rail station, the cost of an Amtrak ticket eliminates most of the cost savings of flying into BWI. If you travel on a week day, there are MARC commuter trains from the same station. Very cheap, around $5.00 round trip.

Although traffic between the two cities can be a nightmare, I'd appreciate more information about Amy's recommendation about "a bus service from BWI to the Greenbelt metro" Name? Where to pick up? Does it run on weekends?

Feb 17th, 2002, 04:08 AM
Stephanie P.

N:

Reagan airport, definitely, no doubt about it. BWI is between the two cities and I remember paying about $60 one way for taxi. Reagan (formerly National) has its own subway stop (yellow line). Get on it and go until Gallery Place, get off and transfer to I think Metro Place (blue line). You could call J.W. directly just to make sure this is the one. You could also get off at Archives (yellow line) and get a taxi off Pennsylvania Avenue. The subway ride should take about 20 minutes from the airport.

Feb 18th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Chris

I've been to DC several times and have never flown into Reagan. I always go to BWI. The AMtrak Metroliner is a bit of a hassle. I usually use a car-service. The company I use charges $50 from BWI to downtown DC and give you a discount if you use them on the way back.

Feb 18th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Amy

The Washington Post's travel section has a ton of information regarding DC tourism, including a pretty good section on getting around. It includes options for the different airports. You might check it out -
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...tingaround.htm

Feb 18th, 2002, 03:19 PM
JIll

Both the yellow and blue lines stop at National (regan). On the blue line you don't have to change trains - the JW Marriott is inbetween Metro Center and Federal Triangle stops (Metro Center may be a tad closer). On the yellow line change to a blue train at L'efant and then get off at either Metro Center or Federal Triangle.

Feb 18th, 2002, 07:06 PM
pete

For the person looking for info on public transportation from BWI to downtown DC, you have a couple of options. There is a new metrobus from BWI to the Greenbelt metro station for around $2.50 each way. Go to the Washington Metro website at www.wmata.com for the schedules and fare information. Another option is to take the train directly in from BWI to Union Station, then connect with Metro at union station. The two train lines are MARC (Maryland Rail Commuter) and Amtrak. Amtrak runs about $34 each way, MARC is only $5, but only runs on weekdays. The train ride is about 40 minutes to Union station, unless you take the express MARC train, in which case it is 25 minutes. Go to www.mtamaryland.com for the MARC train schedules & fare information. Go to www.amtrak.com for the Amtrak info. Another option would be an airport shuttle service. A popular one here is the Super Shuttle. Be warned--I have heard that they make you wait at the airport until they are full before they make a run, so you could wait up to an hour for other people to arrive.

Feb 21st, 2002, 10:06 AM
r-travels

The bus you want is the "B30" and more details are at
http://wmata.com/timetables/MDsched.htm The stop at BWI is just outside the International Pier, near where the Light Rail station is (north end of terminal) It appears that the bus travels non-stop to the Greenbelt Station (Green Line). If it's after 9:30 weekdays, or anytime weekends/Federal holidays, consider purchasing the all day Metro pass for $5.00. The busfare will be $2 according to what I found today on the web. I'll be taking it in April and will post again then.

Feb 21st, 2002, 11:18 AM
Rush

Haven't you been reading other posts lately? Please call it "National" and not "Reagan.

Feb 21st, 2002, 11:33 AM
mary lewis

As someone who spent the last year flying to DC every week - I would highly recommend flying into National even if it does cost more. National is a compact, easy to navigate airport with few delays. You can take the metro into DC very easily - if not cab fares are quite reasonable. On the other hand BWI is a big sprawling mess with frequent delays and a nightmarish process to get into DC. If you take Amtrak be warned that it could take up to 30 minutes just to get to the station from BWI - buses are few and far between. Cabs are very expensive and do not accept credit cards - and the traffic can be horrific!

Feb 21st, 2002, 12:28 PM
Harry

Only a strong Republican would call it Reagan Airport, to me it is still National Airport.

Feb 21st, 2002, 12:28 PM
x

Old issue. Washington Reagan National, for sure. BWI is a mess, crowded, slow through security. WRN is fast and beautiful. Notice the perpetual argument for BWI is always centered around ticket price. Also notice the answer is always the same: WRN.

Feb 21st, 2002, 12:41 PM
please!

Oh, Harry, get with the damn program. Nobody cares what you call the airport. I suppose you call a car a "horseless carriage" too. Change is difficult sometimes.

Feb 21st, 2002, 01:18 PM
Frequent Flyer

I live in DC and travel quite a bit, and I tend to fly out of BWI simply because of Southwest Airlines. I have never had any trouble taking the MARC train in and out of BWI. Regan is definitely better for convenience, though, but for budget, go with BWI and take the MARC train. If you are renting a car, it's about a 40 minute drive into the city from BWI.

If you are looking for cheap flights into Regan, I've found some using ATA.

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO