TN-Smokies-GAS RECEPTACLE?

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 03:25 PM
GassyGrl

TN-Smokies-GAS RECEPTACLE?

Next weekend, I plan on going on the Blue Ridge Parkway, Smokey Mountains and Cade's Cove. Since I anticipate a lot of traffic and stop and go I am wondering if it is legal to take a gas receptacle (the red tank) and fill it up with gas in case I run out.

I have a cell phone, but connections in those areas are spotty, at best. Any suggestions? I've looked at the AAA maps and the gas stations are way out of the way on the BRP and nowhere on the trip up or down the Smokies and/or Cade's Cove.

Regards,

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 04:55 PM
zz

That should not be a problem, no one checks your trunk.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 08:57 PM
Kay

The town of Townsend is quite near Cade's Cove and has gas stations.
Unless you have a vehicle with very poor MPG you won't have trouble. We got a full tank, drove to Cade's Cove and back to Pigeon Forge with lots of gas left. Filled up again and drove through the Smokeys to Asheville -only used 1/2 tank.
Also I think it is very dangerous to have gas can in the trunk .
There are gas stations along BRP , you just have to drive down off the parkway into one of the numerous town along the way.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 03:28 AM
GassyGrl

Kay, how long were you sitting in traffic along Cade's Cove and the Smokies please? That can eat up a lot of gas if the car stays on.

I'm concerned, as you mentioned, bringing it with me. But then again, it's been cool there lately.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 03:40 AM
Park

GassyGrl in all my years of working in the park I have NEVER seen a question as dumb as yours. You could drive from Gatlinburg to Cherokee and sit it traffic for about 7 hours with a full tank of gas (AVG 8 cyl) and still make it to the NEXT gas station. This is not Alaska.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Nina

Hi GassyGrl - don't be upset by the criticism. A woman who has never travelled alone has a right to bring up these concerns.

As for MY experience at Cade's Cove. It took us three hours to get around the whole look last weekend. We stopped twice. There is a bathroom halfway there. There's a place about 8 miles away (Townsend) that has gas stations, in case you want to gas up before you. We still had more than half a tank, even with the ridiculous stop and go. Relax. Have fun, stay safe, but chill out a bit. Sometimes it's scary to travel alone, but sometimes it's the best time you'll ever have.