Reload this Page >

TN-Fall report anyone ?

Search

TN-Fall report anyone ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 05:46 PM
EleanorCarlton

TN-Fall report anyone ?

Please, would someone please provide a fall report for us leaf peepers out here? Specifically the Smoky Mtns and Cade's Cove area? If someone would be kind enough to do it every Tues. or so, it would really be appreciated. We won't be able to make it until the 2nd to the last week in October and we are concerned we are going to miss the colors. We'd like to go before or at peak, if possible. This is our only yearly vacation. I've gone to other online sites that are supposed to fill you in, as well as the 800 number. They are not satisfactory. I'd rather hear it from a native. Thanks in advance to anyone that would like to fill us in.

The Carltons

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:45 PM
ramjet

You know it looks like that week might not be to bad! Right now leaf color spotty at best and best yet to come.(hopefully!) Hotline # is 1-800-354-4595; website is www.fs.fed.us/news/fall

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 02:22 PM
CaseyMartin

Is it just me? or is the phone message volume very low? I can't hear it. Thanks for the number, though.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 09:13 PM
Cathi

I am in the state of Ky and the colors have really not begun to change much yet. I do think the 3rd week in Oct would be the best time to go to the Smokey Mtns.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 01:36 AM
Paul

On my way there this weekend for a "long-weekend." Will report when I arrive back up north. Hoping it is great!

Happy Trails,
Paul

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 03:48 AM
ramjet

No CaseyMartin It isn't you. I had to go in a room without any audible background sounds and its still low!

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 04:39 AM
CaseyMartin

Thanks. I thought so.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Paul Rabe

For up to date foliage reports, go to

www.weather.com

and click on "Fall Foliage"
Select a region (in your case, "East Central") and then select an area within that region (Western NC probably comes closest). If you go to

www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/fallfoliage/?ff_fileToView=nc3

it appears that the Smokies Region is still not at peak.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 01:04 PM
EleanorCarlton

That is great to hear. Thanks. I'll keep checking this site and the others recommended.
I guess anticipation is the greater part of enjoying a getaway like this.
Our best to all

The Carltons

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Nancy

Oh shoot! I wish I was going to be here this week because I would have loved to keep you up to date. I live in Knoxville, but will be traveling on business for 2 weeks. I can tell you that it's green over here so far. Berries in some places, but that's it. Hope it goes well.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Maya

Eleanor, are you still set on going the "2nd to the last week in October"? I don't know if that would be a good idea, they are almost all at peak now.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 06:41 PM
Cathi

Just for information from someone who just returned from the Gatlinburg area and they said the trees were just starting to change colors...

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 03:40 AM
Eleanor

Thanks, Cathi. That other poster scared me. I hope that the fact that they are starting to change means that next week they'll be ready for my visit. :->

Ellie

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Mike Honeycutt

I'll second Cathi's report -

I travelled north of Asheville on 10/14 and only saw color around Mount Mitchell
and Grandfather. We are getting rain
now but if the leaves stay on the
trees, I'd say it will be at least a week or two before most of the mountains have color. Some of my pictures are at:

http://www.mikehoneycutt.com

Mike Honeycutt

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 04:03 AM
Eleanor

Mike, thank you for posting and for the pictures on your website (www.mikehoneycutt.com). I'll probably be going after the 22nd to the end of the month, so I can only hope the rain stops and the leaves stay. I'll be going to the Smokies. I'm going to try to do the BRP but only to Asheville.
Would you happen to know what road to take from Gatlinburg to the BRP only up to Asheville?

I am planning on seeing the Biltmore Estate too. They say that the colors look nice from there, (when there are colors). Thanks again.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Mike Honeycutt

Eleanor - double check me at www.mapquest.com but the quickest
way from Gatlinburg to Bryson City
is to us 441 through the Smokies.
It will connect to 19 which Bryson
City is located on. This road has
lots of switchbacks. Likewise, I
expect the road to be crowded with
fellow "leaf lookers" so give yourself
plenty of time.

Bryson City to Asheville is easy -
follow 19 to 74 to 40.

Have fun.

Mike Honeycutt

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Paul

Just came back from Gatlinburg last night. Gotta' love those cyber fares!

The leaves were just beginning to change and several were on the ground already. There were just a few shots of reds and yellows, but I would venture to say that in about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks, it should be primo.

BTW - I found it interesting that the news stated the area (Gatlinburg specifically) was up in tourism 80% over last year. Of course last year was right after the NY incident. It also said that all rooms were booked last weekend, and that most rooms were already booked for the upcoming weekend. I had never seen the town as busy as it was last Saturday, and I have been visiting the area for many years.

Happy Trails,
Paul

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Kay

Drove from Pigeon Forge through the park to Asheville Oct 10-- Only about 25 %
fall colors and maybe 35 % around Asheville.
Word of advice about Cade's Cove-- It is the MOST congested area of the whole park--Yes ,even worse than Pigeon Forge & Gatlinburg. We left at 7:30 AM on a Tues from Pigeon Forge and when we were 1-2 miles away-- it was bumper to bumper all the way around the "loop" although there was parking.
Good Luck..

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 10:03 AM
EleanorCarlton

You are the NICEST, kindest people I've met online. Thank you SO much for your feedback and experience. It means so much to me. I guess the end of the month will be even busier. Cade's Cove was packed last time we went and that was only in April! I guess we should take a portable bathroom, this time the 10 mile loop could take 3 hours! LOL
How long did it take you, Kay??

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Bob

Mostly still green here in Gatlinburg area. Just a little color here and there. It will be great all month. It is nice even now, with the show just beginning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -