Search

TKTS stand in Times Square?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TKTS stand in Times Square?

Hi,
I am going to be in New York City the weekend of July 17-18, and thinking about trying to squeeze in a Sunday matinee. I remember waiting in line at the TKTS stand a few years ago and gettting tickets to "Fosse." Does anyone know the approx. price of the tickets and what shows they have had available lately on the weekends? If something is sold out online (ie Wicked), does it mean it definitely won't appear at that stand? Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 12:56 PM

Yes- Wicked won't be at the TKTS stand. I never mind waiting in line and always have a broad range of plays I will see, but I also go there 4 times per year. Some may not want to waste time in line. I most always go a half hour before show time and take my chances- I have OFTEN gotten just excellent house seats late released. BUT a big gamble. Look at www.broadwaybox.com for ahead purchased discounts??? If you are flexable then do the line if that is your choice.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Rob

Go to www.tdf.org/tkts for information on the operation of the discount tickt booth.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 03:53 PM

The prices will be around $50-55 for musicals and about $40-45 for straight plays.
You'll probably have a fairly good choice on a mid-summer Sunday. Wicked and The Lion King definitely will NOT will available at TKTS.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 03:56 PM

You can save yourself some time by going to the TKTS at Seaport. The line is short and it opens at 11:00 a.m. You can get the Sunday matinee tickets on Saturday.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 05:35 PM

An even better option is to get discount codes online (for free) & order before you arrive. Added benefit of paying by credit card

playbill.com
theatermania.com
broadwaybox.com
hitshowclub.com
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 06:15 PM

As far as the best way to get discount tickets, it's a tradeoff. TKTS is the cheapest, but you have to wait in line. Using other discount offers (i.e., those on line or discount coupons) will cost you more, but you get the tickets directly on line (for an added handling charge of $5-6 a ticket) or at the box office without waiting.
To me, the best way is to use one of the discount offers by taking it directly to the box office.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 06:28 PM

The TKTS booth is always hit or miss.

Everything turns on when you're there and what's available or not when you happen to get to the front of the line.

An alternative to the TKTS booth is to go the the theater in hope of acquiring "rush" tickets.

If "Wicked" is your most preferred show, best bet is to try to book online. If you have an American Express Gold Card, there are lots of seats.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 07:00 AM

For more info and TKTS availabilities and online ticket discounts for advance sales, check out: www.entertainment-link.com/tkts.asp?show=all

The popular shows are never on the TKTS line (like Wicked, Producers, Lion king). For a Sundat matinee, you can go to the TKTS booth downtown in the south street seaport the day before. If you in th elater part of the afternoon, there's barely a line.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 07:24 AM

I just noticed on the site I mentioned, there's actually a 'membership fee' charged if you try to purchase discount tickets from them. There are many sources, already mentioned here that give the discount codes and don't charge for 'membership'.