Search

TKTS in May?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Harriett

TKTS in May?

Will be in NYC in May . . . always used the WTC TKTS booth for previous trips. Is there an alternate to the Broadway location these days, esp. for purchase of next-day matinee tickets as at the old location? We'll be there Thursday - Sunday; would like to see evening performance Friday and matinee Saturday, especially if I can stand on line one time for two shows.

Taking my 21-yr-old daughter for her first trip to NYC -- any great suggestions other than 'Monty?' I've seen Cabaret but think she would like it; same for Contact. Other ideas?

Howard - and everyone else -your usual wonderful advice, please!

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 05:26 PM
jessica

Hi! I actually just got back from NYC yesterday. There is a TKTS booth in times square. They have also opened another booth further downtown, but i'm not sure where exactly. As far as what to do with your daughter ... I am 25, so we probably have about the same taste. I would definately recommend seeing the BLUE MAN GROUP!!! It's an off Broadway show that is absoulutely spectacular!! It's at the Astor Place Theater. You will need advanced tickets though. I bought mine online through www.blueman.com. They cost around $65, and are well worth it! I also saw the Phantom of the Opera, & really enjoyed it as well. The blue man show has a "younger" feel though! It was great!

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Philip

The Downtown TKTS is located at Bowling Green Park Plaza, N.Y.C.

THE HOURS ARE
Monday - Friday 11:00am-5:30pm*
Saturday 11:00a.m.-3:30p.m* Sunday CLOSED

*At this tkts only, matinee tickets must be bought the day before. For example, Wednesday matinee tickets must be bought on Tuesday; Saturday matinee tickets bought on Friday; and Sunday matinee tickets bought on Saturday. tkts accepts cash or travelers checks.

Directions: The Bowling Green Park Plaza is just a few feet from the IRT 4,5 lines (Bowling Green Station); and across the street from Battery Park at the foot of Broadway.

The website below lists the shows that appear on TKTS each day. You may want to monitor it for a few days to get an idea of what you might expect.

http://newyork.citysearch.com/feature/34843/

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 04:18 AM
Howard

Philip has done a perfect job filling you in on the new downtown TKTS site.
As for shows, put Proof (a non-musical) at the top o your list. If you haven't yet seen Chicago and The Full Monty, I'd recommend them as well.
As for the new shows, you probably won't find Oklahoma at TKTS. Sweet Smell of Success opens later this weeks. Its availability will no doubt depend on the reviews. (Obviously, if the reviews are good, you won't stand a good chance of getting tickets!)

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Patrick

Yes, Phil has answered this question, but note what he says about buying the matinee tickets a day early. Let me point out that like the former WTC tickets booth, the one at Bowling Green offers the BENEFIT of easily getting tickets for two shows at the same time. On Tuesday you can get tickets for both a show that evening and the next day matinee, and on Friday you can get tickets for both that night and the Saturday matinee.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Harriett

That's why I loved the old location so much, and am SO happy that a new one has opened up with the same options/benefits. My time in NYC is always so short that I can justify standing on line once but never twice, and there are always so many good options that I have a difficult time deciding anyway . . . Thanks to all for great advice!

And if this posts twice, so sorry!