TKTS Booth: Wicked?

Old Sep 14th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TKTS Booth: Wicked?

We usually buy theater tickets after arriving in the city. We'll be going in late October with 4 adults, 2 young children.

We definitely want to see Wicked. The kids love High School Musical, so that's on the list. And one other...maybe Mama Mia.

Are those tickets sold at TKTS or do we need to buy ahead of time?

Old Sep 14th, 2008, 11:54 AM

Wicked at TKTS - highly unlikely. Mama Mia - possibly/probably. HS Musical not sure as it is not the type show that appeals to me.

While there are never guarantees, you can check to see which shows were available the previous week on the TKTS website.
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 01:06 PM

Since opening almost 5 years ago, Wicked has never been discounted nor has it shown up at TKTS. It is still playing to 100% capacity crowds. The least expensive way to get tickets is ticketmaster.

To get the best seats, I would consider splitting your group of 6 into smaller groups - 2s or 3s. Getting 6 tickets together at a date this late will limit your choice of seat locations. I'd buy tickets ASAP. (Seriously, ASAP.)

Enjoy the city and Wicked!!
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 01:22 PM

On another thread I had mentioned how difficult it is to get Wicked tickets. I hadn't looked lately. I just entered Oct. 23 at random looking for 6 on Ticketmaster and surprisingly found them in Row L Center -- really great seats at $110 each. I was very surprised -- shocked, actually.

But I agree, get them NOW. Do not count on discount tickets for Wicked.

But I'd use a discount for Mama Mia if you can and get the tickets in advance. Check playbill.com or broadway box.com

I didn't know High School Musical is even playing in NYC. Is it?
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 01:54 PM

Wicked will definitely NOT be at TKTS in October.
Mamma Mia might be for a weekday performance, doubtful for weekends. However, discount tickets are available through playbill.com and broadwaybox.com, as Patrick mentioned.
However, I don't think Mamma Mia is athe best choice for young children. The Little Mermaid or Lion King would seem more appropriate.
Also as Patrick said, I've not heard anything about High School Musical playing in New York.
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 04:12 PM

If you want tickets for Wicked get then TODAY - either from the official seller or a scalper (stubhub.com is reliable).

And you may have to split up for the rest - it's very difficult to get tickets for more than 2 seats together at TKTS - unless the show is about to close.
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. I thought I saw High School Musical was playing, but it sounds like I was mistaken.

Our main question was about Wicked tickets. There seems to be a consensus: Buy now if we want good seats. That's exactly what we needed to know.
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 06:07 PM

I used to stand in line at the TKTS office and hope for good luck, but now I do as others have suggested here and book tickets through broadwaybox.com

If you "definitely want to see Wicked," don't take your chances on TKTS. The likelihood of finding Wicked tickets at TKTS is slim to none. I doubt that you even purchase them at a discount on broadwaybox.com,

Old Sep 17th, 2008, 07:25 AM

When we were in NY last Spring, we went to the box office of the Theatre, and got tickets for the matinee on the same day. Lucky I know - but maybe worth a shot!
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

I don't know if we want to wait. I looked at the last-minute tickets available right now and their pretty much in the nosebleed section.

We'll have the kids with us and I don't think they could follow along from up there.

I'm looking at several sites with seats available for our dates in the left orchestra, on the aisle. They say "partial view", but if we're back far enough I would think they would be pretty good seats.

Anyone have any input on the "partial view" seats?
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 02:23 PM

they would be my last choice, especially with childen.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

lincasanova:
Please clarify. If you're referring to the "nosebleed" seats, I totally concur. The kids would get restless before the 2nd act.

The seats I'm looking at are orchestra, a little more than half way back, left side, on the aisle. But they say "partial view". Frankly everything seems to say that unless it's in the center section...and even then, if it's close to the stage, it says partial view.

How much should I take "pv" into consideration? Is this typical of all theaters or is there something particular about this theater?
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 07:32 AM

Jeanne, I know there are a ton of seats they call partial view for Wicked. And I'm really not sure what that means in some cases. But if you're looking at tickets a little more than halfway back in the orchestra on the aisle (not against the wall), I'd sure go for them! We sat about half way back in the middle of a side section and loved the seats. The Gershwin is great as seats are sort of stadium style and the kids should have fewer problems with heads in their way than in most theatres.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 10:14 AM

Because of the set and the way the show uses the theater, some seats are considered partial view that wouldn't be if it were a more traditional set/show.

Found on http://www.musicalschwartz.com/wicked-nyc.htm

There are a limited number of $55 partial-view Side Orchestra tickets that can be purchased in advance at the box office, online at www.Ticketmaster.com and over the phone, 212.307.4100. In these seats, you will miss some of the scenic elements at the back or side of the stage; however none of the primary action of the show will be missed. There are also $50 seats in the rear mezzanine.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 10:29 AM

But I don't think that description or those prices refer to the seats JeanneB has found. Are they, Jeanne?

What are the actual seat numbers?

Here's a seating chart for the Gershwin:

http://www.nytheatre.com/nytheatre/c...b/plan_ger.htm
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 03:23 PM

Patrick, I believe you are correct about the seats in question. And, I agree with your earlier comment about partial-view seats at the aisle location mentioned.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 05:18 PM

Well it has since occurred to me that Wicked is Ticketmaster and on their website you can get "one seat off the aisle" when it really means one seat off the side wall. So I'd be curious what seats these really are.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

The tickets I'm looking at are
Orchestra left
Row W
seats 1 and 3 @ $151 each
seats 5,7,9,11 @ $161

That's 6 seats together, something I didn't expect to accomplish.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

That's a Saturday night, by the way.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 06:00 AM

Jeanne, that seems very odd that the two aisle seats are less than the othes. I have no idea what that means.
I'd say those seats are fine -- they really are very near the back, but better than back of balcony. Not sure if you have other options, but I'd rather sit more in the middle of a side closer -- and I'd be willing to split the group into two or even three if close together.

I'm curious. Are these through Ticketmaster? They are more expensive than I thought tickets were selling direct for. Although I just entered Sat. Oct. 25 and found a sold out on Ticketmaster. Also if you are doing these online, you might call Ticketmaster and speak to a human who sometimes can find you better seats than those that come up together online.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information