Search

Tips for Maui?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 11:22 AM
Helga

Tips for Maui?

Hi there,

I will be on Maui for 9 days this March. Have never been there before and have bought a couple good guidebooks, but was wondering if anyone had any particular hikes (day only), horseback riding, or driving excursions they would suggest? We are pretty adventurous and were thinking of hiking by ourselves. We will have a car for the whole time, and we also definitely want to try the snorkeling. We are on something of a budget, but we got a really good package deal so can afford to do some "extras." Anything anyone would like to advise us on would be appreciated! For me, this is a dream come true so I am going to try and make the most of it!

Thanks!

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 01:27 PM
Rick

A few suggestions.....Plan a day for a drive to Hana..a FULL day. I know it doesn't LOOK that far on the map..50 miles or so, but its a SLOW go.many places to stop and do a little hiking, waterfalls, bamboo forests,very lush.
Take a swimsuit and go past hana to the seven sacred pools. really nice. Lindburgs grave is just a short drive from there. The rental car places say not too, but its not a problem to drive all the way around instead of backtracking, alot of people do.
You can get a great picnic lunch in Paia
at a place called "picnics". Also helpful is one of the cassete tape tours they sell along the way.Tells you alot of history along the way plus some side trips.
A drive up to Haleakla is another half day trip.
Don't miss Lahaina at sunset.Great place to catch the sunset is over by the pioneer inn. Lahaina after dark is fantastic.
For snorkeling you can take a cruise out to Molokini if you like company,,or less crowded try Blackrock. Another good spot is past Kapalua about 4 miles.
Just drive Highway 30 past the Kapalua exit. The road starts to climb above the ocean. You will come to a wide spot on the left. Lots of cars parked along the road. A cement path leads down to a nice beach.
Iao valley state park is a scenic drive. Good hiking trails.
Enjoy...

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 01:42 PM
JJones

Travel Agents.....

You're going to have to stop these first-name-only phoney postings; they're getting to be a big give away !!!

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 01:56 PM
Kim

Hi, Helga.

I second Haleakala, Molokini, Hana and Lahaina at sunset. Since you're adventurous, you might enjoy a hair-raising bicycle ride down the mountain. Friends of mine loved it but there's no way I would do it - not on your life! I drove, and the view was spectacular. Molokini is absolutely incredible for snorkeling. Hana, and the drive was lovely. Any open air restaurant on the West or South side of Maui is the place to be at sunset - prefereably with a Mai Tai in your hand.

Have fun.
Kim.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 01:16 PM
Helga

Thanks for all the advice! We'll definitely go to Hana & Haleakela, and we are staying in Lahaina, so I'm sure we'll have a good chance to enjoy the nightlife.

ps. I'm really not a travel agent. I work for a company that helps people comply with copyright law and gets royalties to people for their copyrighted materials. I just didn't want to give my whole name.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 04:28 PM
Marie

Aloha Helga,
We too will be in Maui in March and it is my dream come true as well. I have been researching this trip for a year now, and frequenting this site as well as Frommers.

One suggestion is for you to buy the guidebook Maui Revealed, it is by the same author as the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook, it's newer and harder to find, I had my local bookstore order it for me. It was a huge help as was Frommers Hawaii.

Go to www.sailtrilogy.com for an option to the Molokini snorkel trip, this is a catamaran trip to Lanai which has a sunset champaigne option. It is also a snorkel trip off Hulopee beach on Lanai and a tour of Lanai. Its a little pricey, but I've not read anything bad about it. It is the one major activity we are going to try. We are going the end of March, beginning of April.

There are 3 major horseback trips, one is Pony Express they take you down to the floor of Haleakela crater.
The Mendes ranch is a more traditional ride that stops off at waterfalls, and I can't remember the 3rd one in Hana. Still not sure which we are going to do. The crater is suppose to be incredible, but it looks so blah compared to the lushness of the other one.

Have a wonderful time, I know exactly how excited you are, I can't stand it is still 2 months away, but I have the countdown going, If you have any other questions, e-mail me.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 10:56 PM
Melissa

Helga, everyone goes to Haleakala to watch the sun rise. It is FREEZING, pre dawn, so layer well. Immediately after sunrise, take one of the hikes indicated on their maps. I say "immediately" because it gets warm real fast, so if you're hiking you have to peel off all those layers!

The quaint little towns of Paia and Makawao are also great. There is a woman named Rhonda Sands who makes her own liquid & solid soaps, and these are sold mostly at craft fairs and in Makawao (or at www.kopahaiku.com last time I looked). Great little gifts!

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 04:27 PM
Jackie

Snorkeling is great at BlackRock and La Perouse Bay. We did the Molikini snorkel trip and thought it was the absolute WORST! Its way over priced and there's way more fish to be seen at places like Black Rock and La Perouse. We also did the horseback riding trip up the Kipahulu forest in Hana at the Kipahulu Ranch and had an awesome time. We really liked our guides and they take you up above the valley and you have the most amazing views of the waterfalls. The hile through the Bamboo forest is magical. I would most definately spend a couple nights in Hana for the hikes. The drive there is just too long so you won't be able to enjoy the sacred pools or the bamboo forest. Must palces to eat are Sensai in Kapalua and Mamas Fish House in Paia.