COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Houston Galleria or Richmond Avenue Strip Area

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 01:08 PM
Allison

Going to Houston in March. We are staying at the Embassy Suites Galleria area. Can anyone tell my what else there is to do in the area.

I see a list of restaurants in the Galleria.
I'm looking for a fun down to earth place with good food. The hotel says it is by the Richmond Avenue Strip. It says it is where the cities "hot spots" are located. Anyone know anything more about this area?

It also listed restuarants in the area but I lost the list. I post when I find it.

Can anyone give me more info?

Thanks

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 05:01 PM
Tony

Houston is my favortie restaurant city.

Why?

Because they have all of the top end restaurants any big city has...

But most importantly, the city is by far the best in the country for mid-range priced and low-priced meals.

Here's a few lower priced options:

Luling's Barbeque-4726 Richmond-
The crumbly beef link is absolutely amazing. Ribs are excellent too. If you are bothered by cigarette smoke, go during slower parts of the day.

100% Taquito-3245 Southwest Freeway-
Incredibly fresh, authentic mexican food. My favorite tres leches cake in the city. About a 10-15 minute drive from where you will be.

Chachos-6006 Westheimer-
The best fast-food mexican on the planet. With a place like this, its a wonder that Taco Bell stays in business.

-Tony

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 10:51 AM
Sarah

I was in Houston last March and had din at the Americas in the Galleria area. The food was excellent. I highly recommend it.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 01:18 PM
Allison

The hotel book says it is near Americas,
Ninfas, Pappas, Trulucks, Willie G, Cafe Annie, Houstons, city streets, and Billy Blues.

Any feedback on these? Bad or Good?

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 04:11 PM
Michelle

Truluck's was overpriced and just ok to us. Ninfa's is standard Mexican. For the truly best steaks you'll have to drive a little to Clear Lake (but you'll probably want to do that anyway to visit NASA and Space Center Houston). If you do get there, try Perry's Grille and Steakhouse on Bay Area Blvd. To die for steaks, incredible desserts, the best grilled chicken I've ever had - and I've never really liked chicken!

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 04:53 PM
Tony

Ninfas- Some old-timers really like it. But I think Ninfa's has spread out too much with locations all over the city...and the quality has been diluted. Dont go there.

Houstons- You can go to this restaurant in LA, Washington DC, and a few other cities. No need to go there.

I suggest you go to http://www.citysearch.com

They have very reliable reviews.

-Tony