Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

"Tina & Tony's Wedding" In San Francisco?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 08:32 PM
Judy

Hello! I am planning a birtday weekend in SF and was wondering if anyone has been to a preformance of "Tina & Tony's Wedding". It sounds very interesting! Any info would certainly be appreciated! Thanks so much!
Your Fellow Traveler,
Judy

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 05:22 AM
Leigh

A guy I work with just told me about "Tony and Tina's Wedding." He went to the one in New York and had a fabulous time. He said it was a lot of fun and you could interact with the cast as much as you like, or just sit back and enjoy the show. Sounds like the perfect event for a birthday weekend.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 06:20 AM
sktraveler

I went a couple of years ago with 3 other women and absolutely loved it. You have to go with a fun, wacky mindset, though. Pretend like you really are a guest at the wedding and kick back! I would definitely recommend it to a group of people!

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 06:40 AM
gail

Make sure to do a text search as this has been discussed recently
...anyway...Our family went and we had a wonderful time. We are Italian and while most of it was stereotypical and silly..some of it I admit hinted at reality! I usually shy away from any involvement with the entertainment (no I will not hula) when we go out. The actors involve some of the audience in very non-threatening ways ie trying to sell you a watch or TV at the service etc.Don't forget to bring a gift!You are going to have a blast!

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 08:27 AM
ToJudy

I went this year for the first time. Although some people were having a great time, I probably would not go again because there are so many other things to do and see in the city.

Sounds like you've done some research and know what the event is all about: Wedding then reception. After the wedding ceremony held in the church next door, we were taken over to the underground theatre for the reception. You're seated at long, crowded tables covered with picnic fabric. You wait for your turn at the buffet line, all the while watching the antics of the players and often interacting with them. The buffet itself is what I would term grade school cafeteria fare. Pasta with some kind of meat sauce, iceberg lettuce salad, buttered bread. There's somewhat of a story line going on around you as you watch the different "family members" around the room interact with each other. There is also a DJ with dancing after dinner. Just like a wedding reception.

I found the show to be mildy entertaining, but to tell you the truth, I honestly didn't think it was at all worth the price of the tickets. The food is not that good, the room is very cramped and very loud. It IS a very festive atmosphere, however, and I did see some early twentysomethings partying it up on the dancefloor for a birthday. Not to sound negative but personally, I would have preferred spending my money on a good dinner and a show afterwards. There WERE people who looked like they were enjoying themselves, but then again there were some at my table that looked like they couldn't wait for it to be over. Like a previous poster said, it's wacky and kind of corny (my contribution) and you really have to be in the right mindset to enjoy yourself. I guess I may not have been in the right mindset that evening. Regardless, whatever you do, i'm sure you'll have a good time celebrating.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 08:53 AM
kam

You might also look into tickets at Club Fugazi for Beach Blanket Babylon which is a classic SF comedy show. No dinner so you can have a quick meal at one of the little Italians in North Beach and then walk over. Haven't seen Tina and Tony, but BBB can only be had in SF and might give you a better meal. Shoud ,mention--kids only allowed at one performance per week--forget which one. Go to www.sf-visitor.org

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 08:56 AM
Caitlin

I second the recommendation for Beach Blanket Babylon; it's hilarious, very topical (always evolving), and definitely only-in-SF. www.beachblanketbabylon.com

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 10:13 AM
ToJudy

YES! Do try Beach Blanket Babylon. The show is one that I have seen more than once and have been greatly entertained every time. Plus, there are some great restaurants in North Beach (mostly Italian) where you can have a great pre-show birthday celebration.