Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

When "Husband Refuses to Bring Jacket on Alaskan Cruise" draws 27 responses...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 05:56 AM
bored

you know people are bored and out of things to say. The problem with this forum is that very few people report back on their vacation experience in the form of a trip report. The trip reports are what make the Europe forum alive and interesting. When I respond to a posting, asking about a hotel, airline, restaurant, etc. recommendation, I always close my response with "let us know what you decide". This would be a much more interesting forum if we got a little feedback. Let's face it how interesting is a decision to bring or not to bring a jacket on a cruise? Maybe it warrants 3 or 4 replys.

P.S.: I haven't checked back lately, is he or isn't he bringing that jacket.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 06:12 AM
bored poster draws responses

I agree with the spirit of your post -- that posts that aren't straight travel Q&A draw way too much attention. However: out of the 50 posts that appear on each list, someone might have something to offer on only 1 or 2, based on their own travels; but everyone might have a comment on "issue" posts. So the ratio is always going to be imbalanced in favor of posts that could apply to any area or destination.

On the other hand, I really didn't need to reply to this one -- as it's just going to prove your point.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 06:38 AM
Gina

I too would like to see more after trip posts, feedback on hotels and restaurants. IMO, this forum really has deteriorated...

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 06:46 AM
frequent poster

I have a theory on this. It comes down to people love to share their travel experiences. Part bragging; part helping and informing; part capturing the memories for oneself.

Why write a trip report about travelling down I-95 to Florida? OR visiting Disney? Or Yellowstone? Or which hotel you stayed at on Interstate 5? Because it isn't "that" special; it is common and done by many people, often more than once; and these common vacations don't warrant one to keep a journal or diary, or are perceived as "once in a lifetime". However, Europe vacations are much more "sexy" and less common. A European trip report has that certain amount of brag to it;

What do others think? Would you like to see more trip reports?

Example: I just saw a taping of Who Wants to be a Millionaire. Anyone want a trip report?

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 07:52 AM
Prattle

I hate trip reports. It's like watching slides of someone's vacation. I don't read them on the forum, and if their number increased dramatically, I might have to stop coming to this site. People can and should post them if they like, of course, but not everyone finds them interesting.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 08:03 AM
thereuare

I think it's the same problem that exists on most of our society (or maybe i've just been on the east coast too long)... people always know where to go when they need help, but they forget where to go to give a follow-up or a thank you. I don't necessarily need/want full trip reports (unless the traveler wants to do it), but a simple "i got back and disagree/agree with your suggestions" would be nice, so that others taking the same trip will have more (or reinforced) opinions.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 08:03 AM
x

This site is a great place to visit for travel information and a little wackiness at the same time, and there's nothing wrong with a little wackiness as long as it doesn't intrude on someone's serious travel questions. Even the biggest prude has to admit that some of those troll posts are hilarious.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 10:42 AM
Ginny

Instead of a full blown trip report, post the highlights, great restaurants you would recommend, hotels and sites worth visiting. Keep it short and simple. Too often people prattle on and on and it gets boring...