Timing of Helicopter Tours while in Hawaii

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2004, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on taking helicopter trips with my wife and 3 children (ages 6, 9 and 12) while on the islands in Hawaii and I wanted to know whether there was any rationale as to taking the helicopter tour on a island in the first couple of days (to get an appreciation for an island and its overall beauty right off), in the middle OR toward the end of your stay on an island?

All points of view from those who have taken helicopter tours of the islands are welcome. We are considering doing the tours on Kauai, BI and Maui (but not Oahu) this July.
Old Jun 21st, 2004, 07:44 PM

The views are spectacular, so that's never an issue, right?

The issue is -- as you've pointed out -- should you spend all that $$$$ to view unfamiliar territory, or wait until you've at least gotten a "lay of the land" and can spot for landmarks?

Decisions, decisions, decisions... 8-)
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 03:41 AM

If you're staying for a short period, I think the earlier you schedule your flight, the more likely you will succeed.

Helicopter flights (or ocean-based activities) frequently postpone due to rough weather, :-"wind or rain.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Good suggestion. I didn't consider the weather factor.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:51 AM

We did our air tour (plane, not helicopter) after we had already driven around the island. It was neat to get a different perspective of the sights, and it was really neat to have photos from both land and air.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:15 AM

We've always taken such flights in the middle of our stay. That way we've had a bit of a chance to get the lay of the land (and therefor are able to better appreciate/understand what we are looking down at) and also provide ourselves with a time buffer in case the weather interfers with our flight and we need to reschedule.

Ken
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:32 AM

The other viewpoint is to do the tour early on, giving you an overview of the island and providing ideas of things you may want to see on the graound based on what you saw in the air.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:31 AM

We did our tour after about a week in Kauai. If we did it again, we might do it right away. It would omit questioning where things are via car and replace it with observing things on the ground after seeing them from the air.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Good suggestions all. Thanks very much. Now, does anyone have any good recommendations on who to use and who not to use for these air tours?
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:42 PM

erousseau11

Check out this website:
www.explorekauai.com/helicoptertours.html

some tips you might be interested in reading.
J
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:16 PM
sap

Jack Harter is definitely the best on Kauai (the ones with the rainbow logo). The company came very highly recommended to us a couple of years ago and we found the pilot very knowledgeable and professional. Unfortunately, the flight itself was not the best experience for me because both my kids and I got so-o-o airsick despite 2 doses of Dramamine. I was having a great time until he suddenly swooped down into the canyon and my stomach was left behind. Needless to say, it'll be the last time I set foot on a helicopter, but of course that's not the company's fault. My husband loved it and we do have some great pics. Hope you have a great time!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

I hope I don't get airsick too. Sorry you did.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 08:51 PM
gyppielou

Kauai and BI. Haven't been to BI but that's my suggestion. I if given the chance would go with the weather report if its not too booked up. Early morning light or late afternoon light would be my focus rather than where and when. Have Fun!!!!!!!!!

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 09:15 AM

We used Jack Harter and cannot say enough good about them. Our Pilot was great as was the choice of music. We were blessed to go with three people from Chicago who really helped me by joking as well as offering 1/2 a Dramamine and a hand to hold if necessary. I sat next to the pilot, which is determined by weight. The only time my stomach jumped was when we first flew over the canyon and I had a flash of how much it would hurt to fall on the rocks. In spite of that, it was one of the most awesome things I have ever done in my life!
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 09:19 AM
bonniebroad

Good friends of ours used Jack Harter (I don't do eggbeaters...), and were thrilled with their ride. Jack himself flew them (a few years ago), and they were really pleased with the whole experience.