Reload this Page >

Times Square with My 10 yr old Son

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 03:03 PM
Eric

Just wondering how I should spend a day with my son is Times Square? Any affordable places for kids to eat? Can kids go into the cafes? WWF Cafe? etc....? Should I go at night or during the day? Is parking a rental car almost impossible near Times Square (where can I do this cheaply?)

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 05:06 PM
Patrick

I'd go to Mars 2000 just north of Times Square on Broadway. He will love it. There is no such thing to my knowledge as cheap parking near Times Square.

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 05:33 PM
Owen

Cheap is very relative. I park in that area a few time every week and check prices on a variety of garages when I walk by them. I've settled on a place that's the cheapest in that entire area, is open 24 hrs per day and is secure indoor parking. Get onto W. 40th Street at 8th Avenue and it will be the first garage on your right side - about 100-200 feet from 8th Avenue. It's about a 6-10 minute walk to the Times square area depending on your pace. That block of 8th Avenue wil have a few scruffy characters wanderign about but it's immediately adjacent to Poryt Authority bus station, is well lit and patrolled and I've never had any problems. I sometimes return (alone) tp pick up may car as late as 1AM or 2AM. Prices (including taxes, which are 18.25%) are $15 for any period up to 12 hours and $19 for any 24 hour period. The only place I've found that's cheaper are the open air lots on 10th Ave.between 35th and 36th Street but it's a much longer walk and a very funky area (not in the good sense) that I'd be hesitant to park in late at night). Also... if yo're coming into NYC from the Lincoln Tunnel the 40th Street location is incredibly convenient - just turn onto 4oth after leving the tunnel and it's right there a block later. To leave one just turns left on 7th Ave at Port Authority andf then makes the next left onto W. 41st and straight out the tunnel.

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 09:51 PM
Eric

Is there metered parking available on the streets near Times Square that is free after 5PM or later?

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 10:44 PM
tweedy

Eric there is no metered parking in the area and it is really impossible or pretty impossible to find street parking, just me leave the car on Staten Island and take the train.

Also another fun restaurant in the area is Stardust Cafe which is on Broadway just south of Mars. It's a 50's dinner and the servers sing and invite patrons up to sing too, your son will have a good time there too.

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 04:08 AM
howard

Eric, as others have said on you other thread, you really don't want to take your car into midtown Manhattan. (I say this even though I believe there are some 6-hour evening meters in the midtown area, unless the city's removed them recently. However, they're grabbed up rapidly!)

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 05:27 AM
Cindy

Eric, Ellen's Stardust Diner is a fun and fairly inexpensive place. It's at 1650 Broadway, across the street from Mars 2112, which is at 1633 Broadway. They are both between 50th and 51st Streets. Mars 2112 is really an experience, too, but more expensive. I was going to suggest the All Star Cafe if your son is into sports, but when I called to check their location I got a recording that says they are closed for renovation and will reopen later this fall.

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 05:29 AM
Cindy

P.S. I forgot to mention that what makes Ellen's fun is its singing wait staff.

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 06:28 AM
Annie

The All Star Cafe is going to be a Planet Hollywood. Same owners or something. ESPN Zone right in Times Square is another place to try. Great fun! Times Sqaure is very family-oriented now. Nice shops, etc. You and your son should have a fun time just walking around the area.

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 11:05 AM
steve

The MTV studios are on Times Square and they sometimes have performers there in a large window. There always are lots of young people outside and they are encouraged to scream! Virgin Records is a super-huge record store and they have a cafe there as well.

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 04:06 PM
donna

My 13 year old son, 9 year old daughter, and 11 year old friend(boy) loved the ESPN Zone in Times Square. The food was reasonable for the portions that you got. $9.95 for a burger platter, but you could almost split it because the burger was a half pound. The soft drinks were expensive (2.50); but the kids really liked it anyway. We spent about $25 on various games for the kids which they thought were just great. I would go back!

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 10:27 PM
Eric

Hey....do vendors and restaurants think travelers checks are a pain or should I be better off bringing cash. Should we carry backpacks that give us away as tourists? What are some tips for surviving Times Square?

Old Oct 14th, 2000, 05:17 AM
howard

1. The types of places you are going to will readily accept travelers checks.
2. Yes, backpacks will probably indiciate that you are tourists, but so what! The city is loaded with them. (And, hey, most of the places that you'll probably go to are tourist places anyway!)