Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Three days in the white mountains

Sitting in our hotel after day one...

Who: my husband, me, our 4&5 yea old boys

When: June 18-20

Started our day hiking old bridle trail to the summit of west rattlesnake. The views of squam lake are gorgeous. But this isn't really a hike, it's more of a nature walk. I didn't expect it to be so easy. The boys had a blast playing at the top.

Next we parked at loon mt and walked a bit of the bike trail. Found a place we could access the river and spent some time throwing stones into the water. Went and checked out the old logging train sitting on display.

Next walk was to Georgiana falls. Easy trail, not very rewarding. Diana's baths is much more enjoyable IMO. Maybe going all the way to Harvard falls is better, but it was getting close to dinner time.

Dinner was at black mountain burgers in Lincoln. Good beer selection. Burgers were fine, nothing amazing, but they were cooked properly. Their homemade baked beans are delicious! The side salad was nice too....lots of fresh veggies. Two adult meals and two kids meals were $34. Both adults upgraded to beans from fries and we also had that salad. Everyone drank water.

We are now sitting at the comfort inn in Lincoln. Staff is friendly. Rooms are clean. Haven't slept yet so no report on the beds or noise level yet. Towels are thin.

More tomorrow...
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 03:23 PM

You've got GREAT weather! We haven't been to Diana's baths yet. Was the logging train a Lombard Log Hauler? They didn't run on tracks and I believe were invented in Maine. We saw one at a special event at Owls Head Transportation Museum a few years ago after seeing just photos at the Cole Transportation Museum in Bangor ME.
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

http://whitemountainhistory.org/East...d_Lincoln.html

There's some history on the train.
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 01:43 AM

Thanks. Here's the Lombard Log Hauler. It didn't operate on tracks.
http://www.watervillemainstreet.org/...ur/lombard.php
http://touringmaineshistory.wordpres...rd-log-hauler/
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 03:04 AM

Boy, what good parents!

Trips like this into the White Mountains with our kids when they were young created memories that are still fresh after 35 years.
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Wow, so tired. Our boys have their own rooms at home and they hate sleeping together. Hoping they take a nap on the drive today.

Comfort Inn in Lincoln is fine. Staff is friendly, rooms are clean. Walls are thin and you can hear outside noise. A/c is loud, but that's fine since it helps block out the other noises. Breakfast is crappy, but most hotel breakfasts are. Room is spacious.

Just had breakfast at flapjacks pancake house. Pancakes are good and come with real syrup. It's casual, staff is friendly. Coffee is a bit weak. They seem to do a great business.

Heading to santas village soon.
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Santas village was fantastic today. Very low crowds since many kids are just getting out of school this week. We were able to go on rides over and over without getting off. As always, lots of shade and very clean. I love this place

Dinner was at Elvios. The pizza reminded me of papa Gino's. They have a salad bar which made my five year old happy. Only complaint is the meatballs are gross....mostly filler.

Watching willy wonka in the room now.
Old Jun 20th, 2014, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the compliment Ackislander!

Today we had breakfast at White Mt Bagel. Easy walk from the hotel. Bagels were good and I grabbed a cup of coffee too. 4 bagels and coffee was $12..can't beat it.

Went hiking...Bald Mt to Artist's Bluff loop. Boys loved it. Views from Bald Mt are better, but the entire loop is worth it.

Then we visited the Basin and Baby Flume. Found one letterbox there. Dipped our feet in the water too...brrrr!

Now we are hope. Quick little trip but it was fun.
Old Jun 20th, 2014, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

And that's "home" not "hope".
Old Jun 21st, 2014, 02:44 AM

Helpful report on what trails are good for young children. Glad you had a great time.