Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

This weekend: Looking to visit the place east of the Mississippi where spring is at its peak beauty

Search

This weekend: Looking to visit the place east of the Mississippi where spring is at its peak beauty

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Victoria

I am tired of the grey, cold and brown of winter. I want spring!

I am looking for a getaway this coming weekend (March 22nd to 24th) and want to visit the place where the spring flowers, trees and bushes are at their peak spring beauty. I want to visit the place in the United States that the trees are full and fresh green, flowers are out, grass is a rich new green, etc. You got the idea. Please do not send me to a place like Florida where it is always green. I am looking for a fresh new green. Thanks.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Nancy

Sorry: here in Virginia we are just starting to see the first signs of spring. Full spring (trees, etc) will be in mid April.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Kevin

Here in Mobile, Al things are near its spring peak. Near 80 degrres today and the yellow green trees are beautiful. How about your home town?

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Minnesotan

In Minnesota we really do not have a spring. It goes straight from cold weather to hot weather. We can have snow in May and many times the leaves are not on the trees until late May.

I would like to see some early spring also!

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Guy

In Seattle it is still winter like. It has been an incredibly grey and cold winter with record amounts of rain. Ealier last month we went 26 days in a row without seeing the sun.

Spring, maybe in May??

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Fran

Full spring, as you describe it, in Atlanta will be in about 10 days.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Serena

Macon,Georgia is now having their Cherry Blossom Festival. The blooms are late this year, so they will probably be in full bloom at the time you stated. The entire city is beautiful and filled with those blossoms, as well as dogwood and azalea. It is a beautiful city. Also take a drive toward Fort Valley, Georgia and see the Peach Trees in bloom. The fields are a sea of pink blossoms. The American Camellia Society has headquarters outside Fort Valley. Their gardens are well worth seeing. All of this is located within a two hour drive of Atlanta. Central Georgia is beautiful in the spring.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:52 AM
S

Kevin, I remember going to Bellingrath Gardens when we lived in Mobile, AL about 40 years ago. Is it still as renown for it beautiful azaleas as it was then?

Victoria, Head south. Eufaula, AL was a turn of the century resort community with many Victorian mansions. During their Azalea Trail, many of these restored mansions (private homes) are open to the public. I'm sure that many old towns throughout the Deep South have similar festivals going on about now.